Boiled Plantain with Egg Sauce Recipe | Health Benefits Of Boiled Plantain and Egg Stew
Boiled plantain with egg sauce is a dish that’s eaten throughout the Caribbean, Africa, Central America, and South America. It consists of boiled green plantain served with eggs, tomatoes, onions, and spices sauce as an accompaniment.
Many people enjoy yam and egg sauce recipes, but plantain and egg sauce is very tasty and adds a new twist.
This dish can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner depending on the preference.
The idea of boiling plantain with egg sauce may seem like an odd combination at first glance. However, when you break it down, the sweet taste of boiled plantain is balanced out by the savory flavor of the egg dish. Since plantains are not typically eaten raw in Jamaica, people in Jamaica eat them in savory dishes like boiled plantain with egg sauce. Plantains are versatile so they go well with other foods like pepper soup, meats, or vegetables.
Other Health Benefits of Boiled Plantain and Egg Sauce
It’s a nutritious dish because plantains are full of potassium and other minerals. Plantains contain more fiber than bananas, making them a great food to eat for those with digestive problems. Boiling or frying a plantain is a common way to prepare it for eating.
Plantains also include magnesium, which is necessary for blood pressure control, as well as calcium absorption and osteoporosis prevention. It also aids in sleeplessness, migraine relief, and depression treatment.
Eggs are high in protein, vitamin A, vitamin B2, B12, vitamin D, folate, and iodine, among other nutrients.
How to Prepare Boiled Plantain With Egg Sauce Recipe
- 2 green plantains
- 2 eggs
- 4 Fresh pepper (Atarodo)
- 5 big fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium-size onion
- 1 Seasoning cube
- 1/4 teaspoon curry or cinnamon powder
- 2 cooking spoons Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Instructions on How to Boil Plantain
- Cut the plantain into any desired size and peel the skin. (You can cook with the skin if you like else peel the back)
- Place in a clean pot add enough water and boil the plantain until it is soft.
Remove from heat sieve out the water, your cook boiled plantain is ready cover and set aside.
How to Make Egg Sauce
- Wash and dice your fresh tomatoes, onions, and pepper then set-aside
- Next bring vegetable oil to heat in a frying pan or woks, stir in your onions and stir fry for 30 seconds, after that, stir in the diced tomatoes and pepper and fry for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Thirdly, add in your seasoning cube, spice, and add salt to taste.
- Finally, break eggs into a deep bowl whisk properly and pour into the tomato stew; gently stir in a circular motion and allow frying for like 2 minutes as you stir.
Your delicious food is ready to serve
Serve and enjoy egg sauce boiled plantain.