Smoked Chicken Legs Recipe – How to Make Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
Smoked chicken legs are just a smokey and wonderful way to relish the goodness of chicken. They are flavor-packed and can also be eaten dry or in your favorite sauce of the BBQ.
This smoked chicken dish involves chicken legs coated with handmade spice rub, and slowly smoked into a delicious juicy tender piece of meat that melts into your mouth.
No wonder Smoked Chicken Legs and thighs is a fan-friendly dish among smoked food lovers virtually all over the world.
I know you would want to prepare a simple smoked chicken legs dish, and it is the chicken legs recipe for a barbecue. This easy, classical approach will assist make you savor for your smoked chicken legs with juicy flesh, crispy skin.
This is a simple smoked chicken leg recipe that you may customize to your liking. To obtain the flavor you want, play around with the smoke flavor and spice.
Smoked Chicken Legs Seasoning
The seasoning comes first when preparing homemade smoked chicken legs.
Meanwhile, chicken legs are a high protein diet and there are a variety of marinades and rubs to choose from. Here are some spice rub recipes for chicken legs: Basic Spice Rub, Steve’s Basic BBQ Rub, and Curry in a Hurry Rub.
How to Smoke Chicken Legs
Chicken legs are among the simplest foods to prepare on the smoker. Chicken generally are reasonably priced. When it comes to learning how to roast chicken, I think preparing chicken legs are a wonderful place to start.
How to smoke chicken legs (Step-by-step Guide)
- 2 kg Chicken Legs
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder
- Olive oil
Instructions on How to Make Smoked Chicken Drumsticks
- Prepare the chicken legs as follows: Remove the chicken legs from the package and arrange them in a single layer on a rack over a baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 -3 hours, and preferably overnight. Allow them to air dry instead of covering them. If you’re in a hurry, skip this step and go straight to the spices.
- Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees F when ready to smoke, using your preferred wood.
- Season the chicken legs: Toss the chicken with all of the spices in a large mixing dish, then drizzle with oil.
- Chicken legs can be simply placed on the smoker crates or on a wing chicken rack.
- Cover the smoker as it is meant to be and smoke the chicken legs for about 90 minutes, rotating them to achieve even cooking. Some areas of the smoker are hotter than others. Make the best decision you can.
- Take a temperature reading: Cook for another 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (74 degrees C) without touching the bone.
- When the chicken is done, take it from the smoker and baste it with the preferred barbecue sauce right away.
Indirect heat ensures that your meat cooks evenly on all sides without scorching on one side.
The flavor of the wood chips is also infused into the meat when using pellet grilling. (Apple, peach, and cherry meats are popular, but feel free to experiment.)
Charcoal Smoking meat on the grill takes longer, but it helps to tenderize it. However, it can also result in burns.
I recommend rubbing your grill with cooking oil if you’re a first-time user of these Electric smokers. This keeps any manufacturing residue from adhering to your meal.