White bread is just so soft and delicious and we all love eating loaf of bread; basically what you always look out for when shopping for bread is freshly baked bread.
Bread is a staple food in Nigeria especially white bread, moreover, the sweet aroma that usually comes from hot rustic bread cannot be overemphasized,
Meanwhile, breakfast is not complete when white bread or brown bread is not inclusive on the breakfast menu, in the same vein, homemade sandwich rolls are very easy to make, quite filling, and it’s a healthy carbohydrate food that should be eaten in moderate proportion.
Read Also: easy-crepe-recipe-best-in-the-world
Kids and bread are inseparable and they love dough recipes a lot, do you know that bread rolls can also be eating as snacks or probably as a sweet dinner rolls recipe.
However, is good you learn how to make bread from scratch like sweet quick bread recipes, easy bread recipe, and best bread recipe; it will help you save some money while your family eats something rich and different from mass production.
Nigerians sometimes use fresh bread to describe how well and clean a person looks,
For instance “See person pikin as him fresh like today’s bread” my Naija people funny sha.
How to make white bread
- 4 cups of plain flour/Bread flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup milk warm or warm water
- 2 eggs (optional)
Method of preparation
- First and foremost, proof the yeast as you dissolve the yeast with 1 spoon of sugar and warm milk stir very well and keep aside for about 5 minutes
- Secondly, in a bowl whisk your egg and butter together and equally set aside for later use.
- Thirdly, get a large bowl, pour in the flour, the remaining sugar, and salt then mix properly, after that, create a hole in the center of the mixture and add in the proofed yeast, at this point mix vigorously to form a dough.
- Fourthly, take the dough to a floured plain surface thereafter; continue to knead the dough until smooth and stretchy.
- Furthermore, grease your bowl so that the dough will not glue to the bowl when rising and return the smooth stretchy dough into the bowl ensure you also rob some oil on the dough surface to stop the knead flour from having skin.
- In addition, cover the mixed flour using a towel or plastic wrap and allow rising in a closed area for 45 minutes or at list 1 hour; certainly, after 1 hour it has double its size.
Second stage on how to bake bread
- Next is to uncover and punch the dough, place on a floured plain surface. Most importantly, share the dough maybe into 4 equal parts, and then form a round dough with each of them.
- Finally, preheat your oven at (370ºF) 180ºC, grease the baking pan with oil, and place the dough into the baking pan before brushing with egg wash (mix 2 tablespoons of water whisk with 1 egg) it gives it that shining looks very attractive to the eye.
- In conclusion, bake for about 20 – 25 minutes until it turns golden brown and removes from the oven, allow cooling before placing on bread rack.
Enjoy your yeast bread recipe!
I am expecting feedback if you eventually try this homemade white bread recipe.
Frequently Asked Question About White Bread
What is white bread?
White bread is a type of bread made from wheat flour that has been processed to remove the bran and germ, leaving only the endosperm. This results in a lighter color and softer texture compared to whole wheat bread.
How is white bread made?
White bread is typically made from wheat flour, water, yeast, salt, and sometimes sugar. The flour used is refined to remove the bran and germ, and the remaining endosperm is used to make the bread dough.
Is white bread unhealthy?
White bread is often criticized for being less nutritious than whole wheat bread because it lacks the fiber, vitamins, and minerals found in the bran and germ. However, it can still be part of a balanced diet when consumed in moderation.
Does white bread have any nutritional value?
While white bread is lower in fiber and some nutrients compared to whole wheat bread, it still provides carbohydrates, some protein, and small amounts of vitamins and minerals. Some varieties may also be enriched with certain nutrients.
What is the difference between white bread and whole wheat bread?
The main difference is that white bread is made from refined wheat flour, while whole wheat bread uses flour that includes the bran and germ, making it more nutritious.
Does white bread contain gluten?
Yes, white bread is made from wheat flour, which contains gluten. People with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease should choose gluten-free alternatives.
Can white bread cause weight gain?
Consuming white bread in excess, especially without balancing it with a variety of other foods, can contribute to weight gain. Its lower fiber content may also lead to less satiety compared to whole grains.
Is white bread bad for digestion?
Some individuals may experience digestive issues with white bread, particularly if they have sensitivities to refined grains. Whole wheat bread is generally considered better for digestive health due to its higher fiber content.
Does white bread raise blood sugar levels?
White bread has a high glycemic index, meaning it can cause a rapid spike in blood sugar levels. This can be a concern for individuals with diabetes or those trying to manage their blood sugar levels.
Can white bread be part of a healthy diet?
Yes, white bread can be part of a healthy diet when consumed in moderation and as part of a well-balanced meal that includes a variety of nutrient-rich foods.
Does white bread contain added sugars?
Some commercial white breads may contain added sugars to enhance flavor. It’s important to check the ingredient list to identify any added sugars.
Is white bread suitable for a low-carb diet?
White bread is high in carbohydrates, so it may not be suitable for a low-carb diet. Individuals following low-carb diets often opt for alternatives like almond or coconut flour-based bread.
How should white bread be stored?
White bread should be stored in a cool, dry place, preferably in a bread box or airtight container to prevent it from becoming stale. It can also be frozen for longer shelf life.
Can white bread be toasted?
Yes, white bread can be toasted to enhance its flavor and texture. Toasting can also extend the shelf life of bread that is starting to become stale.
Does white bread contain preservatives?
Some commercially produced white bread may contain preservatives to prolong shelf life. Reading the ingredient list can help identify any preservatives used.
Is homemade white bread healthier than store-bought?
Homemade white bread allows you to control the ingredients, including the type of flour and any additives. This can potentially make it a healthier option compared to some store-bought varieties.
Can white bread cause allergies?
Wheat allergies are more commonly associated with whole wheat bread, as the allergens are present in the bran and germ. However, individuals with wheat allergies should still exercise caution with white bread.
Is white bread a good source of energy?
White bread provides a quick source of energy due to its high carbohydrate content. However, the energy it provides may be short-lived compared to the sustained energy from whole grains.
Can white bread be a part of a gluten-free diet?
No, white bread is not gluten-free since it is made from wheat flour. Individuals with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease should choose gluten-free bread alternatives.
Are there any alternatives to white bread?
Yes, there are many alternatives, including whole wheat bread, multigrain bread, rye bread, and gluten-free options made from alternative flours like almond or coconut flour. Choosing a variety of bread types can contribute to a more diverse and nutritious diet.