Bambara groundnut is a drink that put smiles on your face; I will tell you more about this nutrition-packed leguminous seed popularly called Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranean). This plant is widely cultivated in the north and eastern part of Nigerian. The sweet delicacy prepared from this Bambara groundnut is called Okpa. Bambara nut comes in different colors the white, red, dark brown, cream and black.
Bambara nut is used in preparing several kinds of foods and drinks. Okpa juice mostly extracted from grinding Bambara beans is a tasty nutritious drink that is not fattening. It is a diet rich in protein, carbohydrate, vitamin, and mineral that nourishes body and feed the cells. Bambara nut menu rangers from boiled Bambara nut, fried, roasted, bean cake (okpa) and fruit drink. these nutritious Bambara beans are good for breakfast, healthy snack, and as a desert.
Bambara Groundnut Health Benefit
- It is good for combatting malnourishment, mostly in children. The high nutritional value in the minerals, carbohydrates, and protein boost the entire body development.
- Bambara groundnut contains protein an essential component that aids growth. The amino acid helps in the production of carnitine and aids in the digestion of fatty acids. It gives energy and helps in lowering cholesterol level.
- The vitamin and minerals contained in Bambara nuts, like calcium shield the body from arthritis, and other associated bone diseases.
- Bambara nut is suitable for resolving the lack of sleep. The content of amino acids in these nuts supports the secretion of serotonin from the brain. It gives calmness and promotes good sleep.
Bambara nut and Diabetes
Dieting regularly on this nuts is a good source of plant protein that helps in lowering the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. This protein with high lysine helps to reduce cholesterol, this nut is good because of its healthy unsaturated fat.
Recipe for Bambara Groundnut Drink
- 1 cup Bambara groundnut boiled
- ¼ beetroot
- 1 Apple
- ½ ginger root
Method of Preparation
Wash and boil the Bambara nut, and then peel off the thick skin.
Wash the beetroot and ginger and peel off their skin.
Chop the ginger, apple, and beetroot into cubs or pieces; add all ingredients into the blender. Add little water and blend very well for about 5 mins.
Serve and enjoy!