Bambara Groundnut – Health benefits of Bambara Groundnut (Okpa) | Bambara nut seeds
Bambara groundnut is a nut that put smiles on your face; I will tell you more about this nutrition-packed leguminous seed popularly called Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranean). This plant is widely cultivated in the north and eastern part of Nigeria.
Meanwhile, this sweet delicacy prepared from the Bambara groundnut is called Okpa. Bambara nut comes in different colors (types) the white, red, dark brown, cream, and black.
Bambara nut is used in preparing several kinds of foods and drinks. Okpa juice mostly extracted from grinding Bambara beans is a tasty nutritious drink that is not fattening. It is a diet rich in protein, carbohydrate, vitamin, and mineral that nourishes the body and feeds the cells. Bambara nut menu rangers from boiled Bambara nut, fried, roasted, bean cake (okpa), and fruit drinks. these nutritious Bambara beans are good for breakfast, as healthy snacks, and as a desert.
Bambara Groundnut Health Benefits
- It is good for combatting malnourishment, mostly in children. The high nutritional value in the minerals, carbohydrates, and protein boost the entire body development.
- Bambara groundnut contains protein an essential component that aids growth. The amino acid helps in the production of carnitine and aids in the digestion of fatty acids. It gives energy and helps in lowering cholesterol levels.
- The vitamin and minerals contained in Bambara nuts, like calcium shield the body from arthritis, and other associated bone diseases.
- Bambara nut is suitable for resolving the lack of sleep. The content of amino acids in these nuts supports the secretion of serotonin from the brain. It gives calmness and promotes good sleep.
Bambara nut and Diabetes – Bambara Groundnut benefits
Dieting regularly on this nuts is a good source of plant protein that helps in lowering the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. This protein with high lysine helps to reduce cholesterol, this nut is good because of its healthy unsaturated fat.
Are Bambara nuts healthy?
Yes! It is a plant-based protein, with complex carbohydrates, unsaturated fatty acids, and vital minerals (magnesium, potassium, zinc, and iron,) which are all available in reasonable amounts from Bambara groundnuts.
How do you eat Bambara nuts?
Bambara nuts can be properly salted boiled and eaten as groundnuts or roasted, and the seed can be grinded into powder to cook Okpa and consumed as a snack or utilized to create probiotic drinks like smoothies.
Moreover, Bambara groundnut is typically eaten because it provides energy and tastes fantastic when prepared properly, but it also has numerous other excellent health advantages that make it a food everyone must eat.
Bambara Nut Calories
Around 395 calories can be obtained from 100 grams of Bambara groundnuts, of which 260 calories come from carbohydrates, 54 calories from fat, and 80 calories from protein.
Side Effects of Bambara Nut
When consumed in appropriate portions, Bambara groundnuts are harmless.
You should consume it as a nutritious food rather than as a medicine because there is no established therapeutic dosage for them.
Bambara nut and pregnancy
Pregnant women should eat plenty of Bambara nuts since they are full of vitamins and minerals. Okpa has a high iron content, which helps it treat anemia and increase pregnant women’s hemoglobin. Pregnant mothers should take advantage of Okpa because it is highly healthful throughout pregnancy.
is Bambara nut good for weight loss?
Can Okpa Help You Lose Weight? Yes, Okpa is metabolic stimulation food and aids in weight management, much like all protein-rich foods. The body expends more energy digesting thermogenic meals, which also take longer to digest. Due to the quick gratification, prolonged feeling of fullness, and increased water consumption, this can aid in weight loss.
Recipe for Bambara Groundnut Smoothie
- 1 cup Bambara groundnut boiled
- ¼ beetroot
- 1 Apple
- ½ inch ginger root
Instruction on How to Make Bambara nut Smoothie
- Wash and boil the Bambara nut, and then peel off the thick skin.
- Wash the beetroot and ginger and peel off their skin.
- Chop the ginger, apple, and beetroot into cubs or pieces; add all ingredients into the blender. Add little water and blend very well for about 3 mins.
Serve and enjoy!