Peanut soup recipe is a typical Nigerian dish popularly known as groundnut soup that’s so flavorful and delicious when properly cooked.
West African peanut soup is a delicacy prepared with grinded groundnuts; meat (Chicken), fish, palm oil, kpomo, crayfish, pepper, spices, veg, and salt to taste. The amazing combination of all these ingredients produces this tasty and mouthwatering dish; that is best served with Eba swallow, fufu, starch, pounded yam, or white rice.
Homemade groundnut soup is very easy to make just the same way you cook Egusi soup but with a slight difference. The peanut will be roasted first before grinding into a paste to make a spicy peanut stew. However, if you can’t go through that process of frying/roasting the nuts, then buy a jar of plain peanut butter paste; to make your spicy peanut butter soup.
Where Does Peanut Soup Originate From?
Groundnut soup our peanut butter soup has its origin from Africa which is a typical West African dish; that is also popular in East Asia especially in Taiwan and in the United State Virginia precisely.
Moreover, this recipe has gained so much popularity around the globe as they are cooked differently; like the Vegan African peanut soup, while some add carrots and potatoes. Meanwhile, Sierra Leone’s cook and spice their peanut butter stew with tomato paste and chicken.
Is it okay to eat peanuts every day?
Yes! For sure you can definitely add peanuts to your diet every day; they are quite healthy with great health benefits. They are rich in protein, good fat, and healthy nutrients.
Similarly, peanut soup goes by so many names like Maafe, peanut stew; authentic West African peanut soup, Miyan Geda (Miyan Gyada) in Hausa, Groundnut soup.
How to Make Authentic West African Peanut Soup Recipe
- 2 cups of Peanut
- 1 ½ kg Goat meat (or chicken)
- 2 large smoked fish
- ½ kg Kpomo/pomo/cow skin
- 2 tablespoons crayfish
- 2 tablespoons ground pepper
- 1 cup of palm oil
- Seasoning cubes
- Grounded Uziza seed
- Orema seed spice grounded
- Washed bitter leaf
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
- First of all, roast your peanut/groundnut for like 8-10 minutes to half done, and then allow cooling.
- Secondly, use a dry mill blender and grind or Grind in the market if you’re in Nigeria; ensure the peanut is properly grinded. Add the Uziza seed, Orema seed, and crayfish; they can all be blended together.
- Thirdly, wash and spice the goat meat with onions, seasoning cubes, salt, and water, cook to tender.
- De-bone the smoked fish and set aside; When the meat is tender, add more water the will be enough to make your soup. Add, pepper and palm oil, then cover and allow to boil.
- Pour in the smoked fish and cook as the palm oil dissolves and changes color; add in the grinded groundnut and stir to mix evenly. Thereafter cover and cook for like 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the bitter leaf into the soup, stir and cook for another 5 minutes; stir and taste for salt. At this point your delicious groundnut soup / Maafe recipe is ready.
Remove from heat and serve hot
Serve and enjoy Fufu and groundnut soup!