Nigerian vegetable soup is a combination of two or more vegetables cooked with meat while stockfish, dry fish, kpomo, and periwinkle fight for who is more special inside the pot of soup.
The best Edikang lkong soup is a simple vegetable soup recipe commonly eating by the Efiks, people from Cross Rivers and Akwa Ibom States in Nigeria.
The delicious and nutritional values of this homemade vegetable soup have made it so popular all over the country, so people from other tribes love cooking vegetable soup using the Calabar soup recipes.
Moreover, our cultural diversity has made it so easy that people from different tribes can also enjoy healthy vegetable soup of other tribes, for instance, Efo Riro is Yoruba soup, Ofe Owerri or Oha soup is the Igbo soup, Miyan Kuka de Tuwo shinkafa is the Hausa Food, and Edikaikong soup is the Efiks.
Similarly, this simple veg soup recipe goes well with a morsel of swallow or as a side dish, the sweet fragrance that emanates from a yummy veg soup cannot be resisted when served.
Vegetable soup nutrition facts
Veggie soup is rich in essential nutrients and vitamins required for optimal body function, this diet has low calories content, high in fiber, vitamin E, Thiamin, vitamin B6, potassium, and vitamin A.
Nigerian chicken soup Edikaikong is a perfect diabetic soup that helps low the blood sugar, Researcher found that consumers of Edikaikong soup have a lower risk of heart-related diseases and stroke.
Subsequently, vegetables reduce the risk of cancer and lower Bad LDL cholesterol level, in the same vein, increases Good cholesterol level.
A healthy meal for convalescence as it nourishes and replenishes lost nutrients and vitamins.
How to make vegetable soup
- 1 bunch of fluted pumpkin leaf (Ugu Leaf)
- 2 bunches of water leaves
- 1 kg beef or chicken
- 1 medium-size stockfish head
- 2 cups periwinkles (optional)
- 1 cup Kpomo Kanda (finely diced)
- 1 cup dry fish
- 3 tablespoons crayfish
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 8 pieces Bonnet scotch pepper grinded ( Atarodo)
- 2 Knorr seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
Vegetable soup preparation
- First of all, wash your pumpkin and water leaves, after that, cut the vegetables into finely tinny pieces, place in a sieve to drain out the remaining water.
- Secondly, wash your beef and kpomo very well, place in a cooking pot, add your stock cubes and salt, and then cook for about 2 minutes before adding a moderate quantity of water while still cooking.
- Thirdly, add in the stockfish and dry fish and continue cooking until the beef is well cooked, most importantly; the quantity of water has reduced.
- Fourthly, pour in the palm oil, periwinkle, crayfish, pepper, Knorr cube, and salt to taste, then allow cooking for another 5-7 minutes remaining very small water in the pot.
- Finally, stir in the water leaves first into the already prepared soup stock, the waterleaf slightly increases the volume of water cook for 3 minutes, and lastly add the sliced fluted pumpkin leaves and cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
I love the veggies still looking fresh retaining the greenish color not over-cooked it certainly the best way to make veg soup.
Serve and enjoy!!