Latkes recipe popularly known as fried potato pancakes is a traditional Jewish food for the Hanukkah festival of light. Latkes are made from shredded potatoes, onion, eggs and flour that helps bind all ingredient and fry to brown on both sides.
Basically, this recipe serves as a great appetizer though in some cases when I prepare latkes pancake it equally serves as a healthy snack, latkes are delicious side dish when pairing with a cup of hot chocolate/tea.
In Nigerian Latkes potato pancakes is not a common recipe, so, lot of people don’t really know much about this wonderful dish that can be cooked within a short time; its perfect for breakfast when properly paired.
Traditional latkes recipe is usually served with applesauce, smoked salmon, cottage cheese, or sour cream, it can as well be eaten plain. Potato latkes are so easy to make at home.
Moreover, other names for latkes are draniki, boxties, raggmunk, or deruny. Just bear in mind it’s a simple crispy fritter a delicious mouth-watering dish made with grated potato mix with eggs, and flour to bind, while the onion, garlic gives it flavor.
How to Make Latkes Recipe – Latkes Fried Potato Pancakes
- 4 medium-size potatoes (Grated)
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (grated) optional
- Oil for frying
- Sour cream
- First of all, peel your potatoes, grate either with a food processor blade or hand grater using the large holes.
- Secondly, transfer the shredded potatoes into cheesecloth and squeeze out the excess liquid, thereafter, pour the potatoes in a deep bowl.
- Thirdly, add in the onions, eggs, flour, salt, and combine to mix properly to form a batter.
- Finally, heat the vegetable oil, scoop one spoon into the oil press down to flatten as it fries, fry tor about 3 minutes as the color turns brown; flit to the other side and fry the same way.
- Remove from heat into a sieve lined with a paper towel and allow draining.
- Repeat this process till you finish frying all batter
Time to serve and enjoy sweet potato latkes with sour cream or cinnamon applesauce!