Deep-fried dough coconut puff puff is just another style of adding shredded coconut into Puff Puff recipe which gives it that crunchiness each time you take a bite. Dried desiccated coconut Puff pastry or coconut flakes mix in dough taste delicious.
Puff Puff is a popular street snack in almost all West African Countries. In Nigeria Kpo Kpof as is locally called is a snack you can’t resist either on the street when they are frying it or in parties as they are served as small chops in most occasions and events.
Basically, in most homes, it serves as breakfast paired with a cup of tea/hot chocolate that makes it a proper meal.
Coconut Puff Puff is a quick and easy recipe to make at home, kids love these snacks quite a lot and they will always come for more the moment you start frying.
Puff Puff has so many alternative names like Boflot, Togbei, or Bofrot in Ghana, while the Liberian calls it Kala recipe, and lastly is called Mikate in Congo.
How to Make Coconut Puff Puff Recipe – Deep Fried Dough
- 2 cups of flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated coconut (coconut flakes)
- 1 cup of warm coconut milk
- Oil for frying
Method of Preparing Coconut Puff Puff
- First of all, proof your yeast either with warm water or warm coconut milk; and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Secondly, in a bowl mix your dry ingredients the flour, sugar, nutmeg, and salt.
- Thirdly, stir in your coconut milk mix with yeast and combine all ingredients together including the grated coconut as it forms smooth pastry dough that is stretchy. Thereafter, cover and keep in a warm place for about 45 minutes to 1 hour as it rises and double its size.
- Finally, in a frying pan, heat your vegetable oil and scoop in the sticky batter into the frying pan and fry until golden brown color is attain; flip to the other side and fry the same way.
- Remove from heat to a sieve lined with a paper towel and allow draining.
Serve and enjoy healthy coconut puff puff deep fried dough!