Cake donuts are spongy cakes baked in doughnut form; they are fluffy golden brown moist that is perfect for breakfast or as a snack.
Basically, cake donut recipe is round like the usual donuts we all love to eat, with a hole at the center. Our donut cake has a crisp outer edge with tenderness on the inside. However, cake donuts may vary slightly depending on taste (chocolate, old-fashioned, sour cream).
However, these old-fashioned cake donuts are delicious and there are many ways you can serve them. You can serve them as plain donut, you can dip them in chocolate glaze, sprinkled with powdered sugar. It is made with a batter similar to donut and rises with baking powder.
Are cake donuts healthier than regular donuts?
A cake donut is low in fat, sugar, and calories, while the fried yeast donut is usually burst with fruit filling that is sugary or a thick layer of chocolate; it has less nutritional value. In the same vein, regular donuts do not supply enough of the essential nutrients such as calcium, iron and vitamin C needed in the body compared to cake donuts.
What is the difference between baked cake and Yeast donuts?
The baked cake donut is made using baking powder as a raising agent to baked while Yeast donuts are made and fried using yeast as a raising agent for the dough. This classic shiny doughnut that is slightly crispy on the outer layer and soft on the inside is made with baking powder dough. Moreover, doughnuts can either be fried or baked, but for this recipe, we are looking at baked doughnuts.
How to Make Cake Donuts with Cake Mix
- 2 cups cake all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Method of Preparation
- First and foremost, sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and add your salt; thereafter, mix to combine properly.
- Secondly, mix your sugar and butter to form a creamy and fluffy paste; beat the egg white.
- After that, gently fold in the butter and sugar mixture into the eggs; gradually add in the sifted flour, stirring with a spatula. Stir in the milk ensure all ingredients are well incorporated into the dough.
- Finally, is to grease and flour your baking mold and then pour in the dough, then transfer to the already preheated oven and bake in a 180°C for about 40 minutes.
- To ascertain if it’s well-baked test using a toothpick to insert into the cake once it comes out clean the cake is ready.
- Lastly, allow cooling before you remove it from the mold.
Serve and enjoy your donut cake snack!