Ofada rice stew is a local traditional delicacy mainly eaten by the Yorubas and has gradually become a popular sought after Nigerian food. Ofada sauce tastes delicious when properly cooked.
There is hardly any gathering such as party, occasions, event, and weddings without ofada rice and sauce being served with leave as in bringing it to the real local dish.
The name ofada stew originated from the local ofada rice, a blend of rice that is unique due to its unpolished nature, which makes it retains plenty of rice bran covering the grain.
Ofada rice is highly nutritious and contains lots of fiber, magnesium, selenium, and manganese as a result of the unpolished skin, however, processed/polished white rice contains purely carbohydrate.
Furthermore, magnesium is a crucial mineral required for the proper functioning of the body, it helps sustain blood pressure to normal, promotes healthy heart, and strong bones.
The purpose of this article is to enlighten you on the need to include this diet to your meal menu, homemade ofada stew, and rice is so easy to cook and your family will love it since they will be eaten a well-balanced meal.
How to cook Ofada Rice Recipe
- 4 cups of ofada-rice
- Little salt
- Enough water
- First of all, in a pot bring water to boil
- Wash the rice very well in other to eliminate chaff and particles, after that pour in the rice into the boiling water and parboil for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, sieve out the water, rinse and keep in a sieve
- Boil fresh water again, pour in the rice and add little salt then cook until done remove from heat and set aside.
How to make ofada stew recipe – Ayamase
- 2 cups of bell peppers (Tatashe)
- ½ cup scotches bonnet pepper (Atarodo, ose or atarugu)
- 2 large onions
- 1 tablespoon locust bean ( Iru, dawadawa, ogiri okpei)
- 2 tablespoons crayfish
- 1 kg of assorted meat
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 2 Knorr chicken cubes
- Salt to taste
Method of preparation
- Step one; wash your bell pepper and scotches bonnet pepper, after that blend unsmooth, slice 1 onion and keep.
- Secondly, wash and clean the assorted meat, place in a pot, add salt, Knorr cube, and 1 sliced onions and cook until soft, remove from heat keep aside.
- Thirdly, in a clean pot, pour in the oil and bleach, then allow cooling a bit, stir in the sliced onion stir fry and add the Iru (locust bean) and fry for 3 minutes before pouring in the blended pepper mixture then fry until the water dries.
- Add crayfish, assorted meat, and meat stock stir properly to mix thereafter, cook for like 2 minutes, remove from heat allow sitting for a few minutes before serving.
Serve as you wrap Ofada rice in leave and enjoy.