Ogbono soup is a delicious Nigerian easy soup recipe prepared using dry ground ogbono seeds and is popularly known as draw soup because of its gelatinous (slimy) texture it produces.
Ogbono soup recipe is my favorite soup and is very easy to make combined with pounded yam (poundo yam swallow) is a wonderful meal, quite filling and just amazing soup recipes for a great lunch or dinner.
Draw soup is usually the first soup dishes introduce to kids when reducing liquid milk intake and introducing them to solid food, this will enable them to swallow their food easily though some still chew their amala, semolina, garri (eba), and poundo yam.
What is Ogbono made of?
Ogbono is a species of African tree of the genius Irvingia gabonensis with so many names like dika nuts, bush mango, wild mango, African mango or ogbono. This tree bears edible fruits a kind of mango-like above all; it is valued for its protein rich nut and fat.
Basically, this seed is ground then use as a thickening agent to make soups and stew,
Different ways of cooking Ogbono Soup recipes
There are different ways you can cook bush mango seed soup for instance;
- How to cook stir fry ogbono soup an easy soup recipes
- How to make ogbono soup boiling method
- How to make ogbono soup without vegetables
- How to cook ogbono soup with okra
- How to cook ogbono soup with egusi
The first time I came across ogbolo soup recipe without vegetables, it was strange to me, I almost didn’t want to eat the food, but, reluctantly I decided to eat; the moment I tasted the soup oh my God, before you could say jack Daniel I have finished my swallow it was delicious indeed even without the veggies .
How to make ogbono soup boiling method
- 1 cup of ground ogbono seed
- 1 kg meat (assorted beef, kpomo shaki)
- Stock fish and dry fish
- 1 medium-size onion
- 3 tablespoon crayfish
- 6 scotch bonnet pepper (Atarodo)
- 2 Knorr seasoning cube
- 3 soup spoons of palm oil
- 1 cup pumpkin leaf (Ugu), bitter leave (onugbu), or Uziza leaf
- 1 teaspoon Iru Locust bean (optional)
- Salt to taste
Instruction for easy soup recipes
- First of all, wash your meat and boil with onions, Knorr cubes, and salt ensure there is enough water when boiling the meat. After 20 minutes wash the stock fish and include into the pot then continue boiling, allow cooking properly until tender.
- Secondly, wash the smoked fish remove the bones, after that, add the fish into the boiling meat, and add your palm oil, crayfish, pepper, iru, Knorr seasoning cubes, and salt to taste, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Thirdly, pour in the ground ogbono into the pot, don’t stir allow cooking as it dissolves on its own, meanwhile, don’t cover the pot as it cooks just live it open.
- Within 5 minutes you notice is forming and the size of the soup has increased and no more traces of ground ogbono at this point you can now stir while still cooking
- In addition, if it is too thick, add little more water to reduce the thickness, turn very well and taste for salt don’t be in a haste to remove from heat, consequently, when not properly cooked all the ingredients will not sit very well into the ogbono since it will not taste good, so, cook for a while more say 5 minutes.
- Finally, add your vegetables stir and remove from heat immediately, I love my ugu leaf fresh, ogbono is a quick soup and fast soup recipes to make at home when running out of time as to what to cook.
Serve with poundo yam