Okra soup is a simple and easy soup idea to make at home, is equally a healthy food for those watching their weight since it has low calories content.
Homemade okra soup are kids favorite when it comes to swallowing; the slippery nature of okro makes it easier for them to eat, in the same vein, the convalescence and sick person prefers this soup for smooth passage of food and not vomiting after eating.
I love plain okro soup spiced up with other soup ingredient cooked half done that bring out the green color of okra, but, in most cases because of the kids, I end up cooking African okra soup loaded with smoked fish.
In Nigerian, there are different methods on how to prepare okra gumbo recipes, for instance how to cook okro soup without frying, how to cook okro soup with ogbono, how to prepare fried okra soup, and okra vegetable soup.
Okra soup and it’s Amazing health benefit
Okra or okro is an edible vegetable seed pods also known as lady’s finger, ochro, and scientifically called Abelmoschus esculentus.
Okra contains high dietary fiber and low calories, it is also rich in vitamin B, potassium, vitamin C, folic acid, and calcium, in other words, okra gumbo is a perfect diabetic food because it helps lower blood sugar both in gestational diabetes, type 1 and types 2 diabetes.
Consequently, research has discovered that okra juice has the capability to cover the surface of H-pylori bacteria that are responsible for stomach ulcer, thereby stopping them from docking on the stomach walls.
Similarly, healthy okra dishes promotes strong bones which are good for children, as well as protect against cancer cells.
Okro soup helps good bowel movement and prevents constipation and equally improves your metabolism.
How to cook fried okra soup
- 1kg beef (assorted meat and kpomo)
- 250g fresh okra (sliced)
- 1 small size stock fish head
- 5 round sizes of smoked fish
- 2 tablespoons crayfish
- 6 piece scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 cooking spoonful palm oil
- 1 medium-size onion
- 2 Knorr cubes
- 1 cup Uziza leaf (finely sliced)
- Salt to taste
- First and foremost, wash your meat, cut into chunk cubes, add seasoning cubes, onions, and salt, parboil the meat for about 15 minutes, wash the stockfish and add into the boiling meat, then cook for another 10 minutes.
- Secondly, add your smoked fish, crayfish, pepper, seasoning, salt and 2 cooking spoonfuls of palm oil and cook for 5 minutes and set aside
- Thirdly, wash and slice your okra in tinny round shape, though okra takes little time to cut, but, the faster you’re the better.
- Fourthly, pour the remaining palm oil into an empty dry pot, heat the oil, after that, and stir fry the sliced okra for 60 seconds.
- Finally, pour in the boiled beef stock into the fried okra, turn properly and add the uziza leaves at this point remove from heat cover the pot allow resting for 3 minutes.
Your delicious okro soup is ready
Serve and enjoy!