Health Benefits Of Karkashi Leaves – Miyan karkashi | Sesame Leaf Benefits
Miyan karkashi, a popular meal in northern Nigeria, especially among the Hausas, is made from karkashi leaves or powder. A Karkashi leaf is related to Ewedu, a traditional Yoruba leaf soup.
The nutritional benefits of karkashi soup or karkashi leaf are numerous.
The English name for karkashi soup is Sesame leaf soup, Botanically called Sesamum radiatum, ewe-atura in Yoruba, Beni in Tiv/Idoma, Benniseed which is known as sesame in English, and karkashi in Hausa.
Health benefits of karkashi Leaves and Soup -Sesame Leaf Benefits
Karkashi Soup with Leaves Have Many Health Benefits such as:-
- Karkashi is said to help treat chickenpox and measles due to its antiviral characteristics.
- It makes birthing easier.
- Karkashi enhances fertility, stimulates ovulation, and raises libido.
- Karkashi is used to treat diarrhea and dysentery.
- Helps with digestion
- Improves brain health
- Karkashi is excellent for hair since it eliminates dandruff, heals fungal scalp infections, and promotes growth.
- Helps with constipation
- Increase hemoglobin and red blood cell synthesis.
- Decoction Karkashi leaves and stems are used as a scorpion sting remedy.
- It improves eyesight.
- Promote healthy skin
- Karkashi is beneficial for weight loss.
- It protects you from chronic diseases.
- Karkashi soup is Keto-friendly and may be included in a Nigerian weight-loss plan.
- Miyan karkashi has a low Glycemic Index and decreases blood pressure. Diabetes patients will benefit from this leaf.
- Karkashi possesses antifungal effects. It is used to treat fungal illness that affects the scalp of the head; Used to treat dandruff in the hair.
Karkashi Leaf Enhances Fertility
The element zinc is crucial for boosting sexuality and karkashi leaves have much of it. It has an effect on testosterone synthesis and the number of sperm cells in a sperm load. As a result, it may aid males in improving their fertility.
It’s also beneficial to women’s fertility because it’s traditionally used to treat women who have issues becoming pregnant.
Fresh Sesame Leaves – All You Need to Know About Karkashi Leaf
This soup is both nutritious and delicious. There is no need to use any oil in cooking these soup, though some people love to make Karkashi soup with palm oil. Moreover, the leaf is usually slimy, and adding oil will make them less slimy.
Fresh sesame leaves cannot be rinsed due to their sliminess. Instead, when choosing your leaves, you smack them against your palm or the tray to eliminate any sand or dirt.
If you add too much water, the soup will not be thick enough.
This soup does not require adding of onions but you can boil your beef/chicken with onions
After you’ve finished preparing your soup, add the salt.
How to Make Karkashi Soup Recipe – Miyan Karkashi | Sesame Leaf Soup
- 2 bunches of Fresh Sesame Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Locust Beans
- Fresh pepper
- Fresh fish or Beef/Chicken
- ½ teaspoon of Potash
- 2 seasoning cubes
- First and foremost, pick your fresh sesame leaves, Thereafter, finely cut it into a bowl then set aside (You can as well pound the karkashi leaves with a mortar and pistil, for a very slimy soup texture).
- Secondly, cut then wash the fish and put in a pot or wash the beef whichever form of protein you prefer, add some water and allow to boil for some minutes to tender.
- Thirdly, remove the fish into a clean bowl, and then add the grounded pepper, crayfish, and locust beans into the pot and continue cooking.
- Add enough quantity of water needed to make the soup, then your seasoning cubes, potash and allow to cook.
- Next is to add the chopped karkashi leaves into the boiling soup water and stir very well.
- Finally, add your already boiled fish into the soup stir, and allow cooking for like 5 minutes.
- Stir your Miyan Karkashi and taste for salt thereafter remove from heat.
At this point your delicious sesame soup is ready
Serve your Miyan Karkashi soup with Tuwo Masara or Tuwon Dawa and enjoy!
Karkashi leaves include several nutrients that contribute to its medical value and can be utilized to help many individuals improve their health.