This homemade soft shawarma bread recipe is really simple and quick to prepare. Shawarma Bread (also known as Pita Bread or Naan Flat Bread) can be prepared in a Pan or an Oven.
You don’t need to be a chef to prepare this flatbread; even if you’ve never baked bread before, you’ll be fine.
It a simple and straightforward method for making your own shawarma bread, Lebanese bread, or flour tortilla at home without having to rely on any unhealthy store-bought Shawarma bread.
I prepared this thin shawarma bread without yeast, but if you must, add instant yeast to the recipe. With the addition of yeast, this recipe would also make excellent pita bread. Pita bread may be used to soak up a simple chicken curry recipe or hummus dish.
You won’t need to go to the supermarket for shawarma bread the moment you learn how to make this recipe.
Arabic Pita Bread, Syrian Pita Bread, and Greek Pita Bread are all names for the same pita bread.
Although the pita bread dough is similar to those of other flatbreads such as pizza dough or Naan dough, the bread is made with less ingredients and processes.
This is what gives it its distinctive puff (pocket), which makes it perfect for fillings, and wraps, as well as sandwiches.
How to Make Shawarma Bread in a Pan – Pita Bread Recipe
- 2 cups plain flour / Add extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or butter
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of warm water
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and oil.
- Mix everything together with your fingertips until you obtain a crumb-like texture. Half of the water should be added at a time and mixed until a smooth dough is formed.
- Place the dough on a work surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough in an oiled dish with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and set aside for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and divide it into 6 or 8 balls, allowing them to rest for another 10 minutes before heating.
How to Make Shawarma Bread in an Oven
If you’re going to use an oven, here’s what you’ll need to do.
- Preheat the oven at 230 degrees Celsius (450 degrees Fahrenheit), then set the baking pan (with the rolled out dough) in the oven for 3-4 minutes..
- After that, wait for the balloon to develop before removing it from the oven.
It’s vital to keep in mind that not all bread balloons, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t get it right; sometimes it has something to do with the oven’s heating capabilities.
How to Make Nigerian Shawarma Bread in Frying Pan
If you wish to prepare the Shawarma bread in a pan (on the stovetop), follow these steps:
- To begin, heat a nonstick frying pan until it is very hot.
- Then, on top of it, lay the rolled dough.
- Thirdly, as bubbles appear, flip over to the other side and watch as the balloon develops shape; this is the most enjoyable part of the procedure.
- Flip the balloon over after that, it will develop, then deflate the balloon pressing in it when frying; fry both sides to brown.
- Finally, remove and set it on a tray coated with moist kitchen towel, then repeat with the remaining dough.
Wrap the bread in a Ziploc or plastic bag to keep it fresh for later use. It will keep for 2-3 days at room temperature.
What is shawarma wrap made of?
It’s a street-food staple that consists of grilled beef or chicken strongly seasoned in heated spices, cooked on a rotating pit, and then shaved off for wrapped sandwiches with hot dogs, cabbage, carrots, tomato ketchup mix with mayonnaise, and other ingredients. Shawarma is a famous street cuisine all around the world, but notably in the Middle East.
Why is Shawarma Unhealthy?
Sadly, meat that is piled and cooked in its own oil might go bad if additional meat is added to the stack without allowing the entire stack to be consumed. It’s unhealthy since there’s a risk you’ll consume rotting meat in your shawarma; It’s also unhealthy when the oil is of high cholesterol
Shawarma Bread Price in Nigeria
The price of Shawarma bread is between #380 – #550 which is quite moderate but slightly differs among shops depending on where you are buying from.
Where to Buy Shawarma Bread in Lagos
You can buy Shawarma Bread in Shoprite
Online from food Jumia