The Southern classic hush puppies food is a small round balls made with cornmeal batter; and some seasonings then deep-fried into a golden brown color. Hushpuppies are tasty, crispy on the outside while soft on the inside.
Hush puppies are soul food with extra sweetness; they are heart-friendly comfort food.
However, a light and fluffy hushpuppies food can serve as a side dish or an appetizer to seafood or barbecue. A plate of cornmeal fritters garnished with fried fish is just perfect for the day.
Homemade hushpuppies are so simple and easy to make with few minutes; kids love this recipe as they will always pick the balls even while playing around.
Basically, these recipes can be prepared using different methods like hush puppies without buttermilk, hush puppies with corn, or without cornmeal as well.
What does Hush Puppies Taste Like?
The golden yellow color is so captivated, it tastes delicious. The steaming puppies are just amazing as the crispy outer will always entice you to eat more especially with the fish. Ensure you make this mouth-watering dish for the family, they will love.
What Food to Serve with Hush Puppies
- A good Beer battered cod
- Fried fish
- Mango dipping sauce with shrimps
- French fries
How to Make Hush Puppies Food with Corn
- 1 cup cornmeal
- ½ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup of buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Tartar Sauce for dipping (optional)
- First and foremost is to make the batter, in a mixer or using a bowl pour in the cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, cayenne pepper, salt, and mix together. Thereafter, whisk in the eggs, and buttermilk, combine properly to form a batter.
- Secondly, heat your vegetable oil in a skillet pan or frying pan, use an ice cream scooper, and start scooping the batter into the hot oil.
- Finally, fry until color turns golden brown on all sides, and then remove from heat into a paper towel to drain oil.
At this junction your Southern hush puppies recipe is ready.
Serve and enjoy!