Okra pepper soup – How to Make Okro Peppersoup Recipe | Igbagba Ofofo
Okro pepper soup is a wonderful African soup cooked with a unique blend of ingredients that is easy, spicy, and delicious. It comes from the southern region of Nigeria, where it’s known among the locals as Igbagba Ofofo.
However, Igbagba Ofofo – Okro Peppersoup is a Delta State classic from the Urhobo and Itsekiri people.
In Africa and in several other regions around the world, these sticky/slimy soups like Okro, Ogbono, and Ewedu (Jute leaf) were traditionally a staple meal even in Nigeria. Moreover, they are often paired with swallow such as Fufu, starch, Eba (Garri), pounded yam or Amala.
Basically, in the case of okra pepper soup, the sticky nature is not as powerful as that of a typical African okra soup, and this slimy form may be lowered even more by frying the raw chopped okra in a little oil before it can be added to the soup.
Is Okro Soup Healthy?
Okra soup is a healthy dish that is quite filling, nutritious, and high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids. It is also good for hectic weeknights, as it can be prepared beforehand and even be frozen!
Okra Pepper Soup – How to Make Okro Peppersoup Recipe
- 1 Tilapia fish cut into chunks (or Beef)
- ½ kg shrimp
- 1 cup okra finely sliced
- A handful Ugu leaves, sliced
- 1 medium-size onion chopped finely
- 4-5 pcs scotch bonnet (Atarodo)
- 2 tbsp crayfish ground
- 1 tablespoon pepper soup spice
- 2 bouillon cubes
- Red chili flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
Instructions on How to Make Okro Pepper soup Recipe
- First and foremost, wash and chop or slice your fresh okra and set aside, thereafter, wash and clean the fish.
- Secondly, in a pot, pour some water, add in your onion, seasoning cubes, scotch bonnet pepper, salt, cover and allow boiling.
- Thirdly, gently place the fresh fish into the seasoned water, add the peppersoup spice, shrimps, and crayfish stir cover, and continue cooking for some minutes until the fish is well-cooked.
- Finally, add the fresh chopped okra stir then add your Ugu leaf and taste for salt, likewise chili pepper, make the soup a bit peppery. Cover your pot and cook for like 2 minutes.
- At this point your delicious Okro peppersoup is ready!
Serve hot to eat alone or with a staple swallow of choice.
Enjoy your meal!