Sweet potato porridge recipe mixed with sweet corn is just a double dose of sweetness that is satisfying; the best porridge recipe is a healthy meal perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Sweet potatoes fondly seen as tubers are actually a root vegetable, so combining this vegetable with other veggies enriches its nutritional value making it a better option among its counterparts like yam and Irish potato.
Sweet potato in Yoruba is known as Odukun, while porridge is Asaro; in other words, this sweet potato porridge recipe is called Asaro olo Odukun in Yoruba. The Hausas call it Dankeli, and the Igbos call it Nduku.
Farmer’s porridge is another name for this pottage potato dish usually cooked by farmers.
Farmers are the ones cultivating and harvesting this farm produce, that is to say, they are the first partakers and they consume enough of it.
However, homemade sweet potato pottage with sweet corn is so easy to make, it doesn’t need much hard work or time consuming when cooking this mouth watery dish.
Different ways to cook sweet potatoes in Nigeria
In Nigeria, there are different ways of preparing sweet potatoes they are as follows:
- Sweet potato pottage
- Potato and plantain porridge
- Yam and sweet potato porridge
- Beans and sweet potato pottage
How to Cook Sweet Potato Porridge Recipe
Ingredients for Best Porridge Recipe
- 4 medium-size sweet potatoes
- ½ kg of chicken (fish or beef)
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 4 fresh tomatoes or (tin)
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers
- 2 tablespoons of crayfish
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 1 large onion
- 1 teaspoon curry powder & thyme
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- Salt to taste
Toppings for best potato recipe
- 1 cup sliced Ugu (spinach)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small size onion (sliced)
- Salt to taste
Method of Cooking Sweet Potato Pottage
- First of all, wash the chicken place in a pot, spiced with curry powder, thyme, seasoning cube, salt, and water, then cook until almost tender, we need the chicken stock, so, remove from stove keep aside.
- Secondly, peel your sweet potatoes, chop into cubes, and wash ready for use, wash and slice the onion, tomatoes, green bell pepper, and bonnet peppers.
- Thirdly, in a clean bring the palm oil to heat, stir in the onions and fry for 2 minutes, pour in the fresh tomatoes and bonnet pepper, after that, fry to dry.
- Pour in the chicken stock into the fried tomatoes, also pour in the chopped sweet potatoes, crayfish, turmeric, seasoning cube, add water make it the same level with potatoes.
- Stir properly to mix and taste salt, adjust to taste, cover your pot and cook until the water starts thickening forming pottage.
- Lastly, stir in the sweet corn and green bell pepper, turn very well as the water thickens into a pottage, remove from heat, cover and allow to sitting for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, bring to heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan, stir in the sliced onions, stir fry and pour in the ugu, add salt and turn for 45 seconds, don’t overcook the vegetables, remove from the stove at this point your potato Pottage with sweet corn is ready.
Serve and enjoy the best porridge recipe!