How To Make Sweet Potato Porridge – Potato Pottage Recipe
Sweet potato porridge is a delicious dish that will satisfy your hunger. However, if you enjoy Yam Porridge, you’ll definitely love Potato Pottage as it’s often called.
Sweet potatoes can either be fried, roasted, or boiled. Potato can as well be added to your beans porridge recipe and other recipes. I just have a lot of happy memories of sweet potatoes as a child.
Would you prefer a bowl of sweet potato porridge to a bowl of yam porridge because you have a sugar craving?
What is Sweet Potato? How to Make Sweet Potato Porridge
Sweet potato is an edible root vegetable. In the Igbo language (my native tongue), sweet potato is known as jinwannú, which means “sweet yam.” In Hausa it is called Dankalin, Sweet potato is really not in the same botanical family as edible starchy yam tubers, but it does belong to the Convolvulaceae, morning glory family, and is in fact, a root vegetable.
Both the sweet potato and (Solanum tuberosum) the common potato is members of the Solanales. While sweet potatoes are quite often referred to as “yams” in some regions of North America, they are not genuine yams, which are the Dioscoreales family.
Recipes Related to Nigerian Potato Porridge:
- Beans and potato porridge
- Nigerian Sweet Potato Fries with Tomato Sauce
- Deep Fried Sweet Potato Fries with Honey Chicken
- Sweet Potato Salad
How to Make Sweet Potato Porridge – Potato Porridge Recipe
It’s a tasty dish that you’ll want to include on your family’s meal menu and is very easy to prepare at home.
Nigerian Potato Porridge Ingredients
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- Dry prawns (optional)
- Fresh bonnet peppers
- 1 large Onion
- 2 cookingspoons palm oil
- Spinach or fluted Pumpkin leafs
- Seasoning cubes
- 4 tomatoes or tin tomato (optional)
Direction on How to Make Sweet Potato Porridge
- First of all, your sweet potatoes should be peeled carefully. Cut them into little pieces, cubes size or slightly larger.
- They should be washed and placed in a sieve to remove any extra water but it’s optional else transfer into the pot.
- Next is to peel and wash the onion, scotch bonnet pepper, and tomatoes in case you decide to use tomatoes. Cut them up into tiny pieces, combine everything in a blender, add a splash of water, and process until smooth.
- Then, over medium heat place the saucepan or pot, and pour in the vegetable oil.
- Stir in the pepper and onion mixture and fry for 2–4 minutes. Thereafter, pour in 2 cups of water to the stew and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes that have been rinsed to the saucepan or pot.
- Sprinkle in some crayfish, salt, seasoning cube to taste and allow to cook for like 8-10 minutes
- While your potatoes are cooking, wash the spinach (vegetables) with salt then raise thoroughly, after that, slice the veggies and keep them aside.
- Finally, the moment your potatoes are well cooked, pour in the vegetables and stir to mix for a few seconds before removing them from the heat (cooker). The vegetables shouldn’t be overcooked.
Serve and enjoy your delicious delicacy!
This delicacy can be cooked with any kind of animal protein or seafood like Sweet potato porridge with chicken or fish.