Couscous recipe is a staple dish in most parts of the Northern region in Nigeria. kuskus is a tiny small balls of durum wheat that are crushed.
However, couscous is great when served with stews, sauce, or mixed with vegetables. There is also couscous Jollof and fried couscous dishes depending on your choice they are all healthy delicious meal.
Basically, People will always ask what is couscous made of. Couscous or kuskus depending on the pronunciation is made just like other pasta, macaroni, or spaghetti. They are made from durum, which is the wheat used to make semolina flour which we use to make Semolina swallow.
This North American instant dish is very easy to cook at home. Places like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, cook couscous after being tossed in oil and little water or only water steamed over a hot simmered stew.
Homemade couscous salad is commonly referred to as simple Vegan couscous food, same with couscous quinoa.
Health Benefits of Couscous
Couscous is rich in selenium, good source of fiber, helps boost immune system, and keeps you full for a longer period of time. Whole wheat couscous is a heart friendly dish, helps lower cholesterol, and stops spike in blood sugar.
Similarly, couscous contains few calories as well as carbohydrate, pure low carb diet that is perfect for a weight loss meal.
Types of Couscous
It’s about the size of semolina is the smallest of them all cooks fast just in minutes.
The Israeli couscous is also called pearl though larger in size and looks like pieces of pasta. It takes probably 10 minutes to cook.
Also refers to as Moghrabieh couscous is quite larger than Israeli couscous and takes more time to cook.
How to Make Couscous Recipe with Vegetables
- 2 Cups of Couscous
- 1/2 Cup Sweet corn
- 1 Medium Size Onion finely diced
- 2 Cups Water or Chicken Stock
- ½ kg boneless chicken (Minced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 2 medium size carrots
- handful Green Peas
- Garlic and Ginger
- 2 Seasoning cubes
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Cooking Spoon vegetable oil
- First of all, wash all fresh vegetables and dice, after that set aside ready for use.
- Secondly, in a clean pot or skillet pan bring the oil to heat, salute your garlic and ginger, and stir in the sliced onions, stir fry for view minutes.
- Thirdly, stir in the minced chicken; continue to stir fry until golden brown and properly cooked to doneness.
- Next is to pour in all your sliced vegetables into the fried meat, stir fry for about 2 minutes; add your seasoning cubes, curry, taste salt, and remove from heat.
- Finally, in a pot, pour in water or chicken broth and bring to a boil, then pour in the couscous into the pot, stir and cover. Allow to soak and absorb all the water or chicken stock for like 5 minutes.
- Lastly, remover the cover, use a spoon and stir the soaked couscous, before adding in the fried vegetables and gently mix all ingredients together.
- At this point you may transfer back to the stove to heat for few minutes in other to keep it warm/hot.
A perfectly cooked couscous recipe shouldn’t be sticky.
Serve and enjoy!