Efo Riro Recipe is a native Yoruba vegetable soup cooked with Efo Shoko leaves or EfoTete leaf that is called Green Amaranth. Efo is a delicious soup with rich nutritional values. It’s one of the most favorite Yoruba soup people love to eat; just like the popular Calabar Edikang Ikong soup.
However, efo recipe is a sure meal in virtually most Yoruba party; it can also be referred to a Nigerian spinach stew recipe
Certainly, Efo Riro soup can be modified to interest both vegetarians and non-vegetarians (meat lovers), and still retain its rich quality. The vegetarians alternate meat with dried mushrooms to derive that rich sweet flavor.
Homemade Efo riro soup recipe is easy to cook; there are several other methods to make this savory Yoruba soup or you can adopt Efo riro with Sisi Jemimah style.
In case you are outside Nigeria where you hardly get Efo leaves; then you can easily go for frozen spinach, kale, or green leafy vegetables as a great substitute.
How to cook Efo Riro with Tomatoes
In cooking Efo riro with tomatoes, you will only add little quantity of tomatoes and adjust the tatashe which is the red bell pepper. Thou some like their soup peppery thereby increasing the amount of scotch bonnet pepper used for a savory recipe.
Moreover, the cooking ingredient below is what will be used in making this mouth watery dish.
How to make Efo Riro with Frozen Spinach
Similarly, in cooking Efo riro with frozen spinach leaf all other food ingredients still remain the same. But the leaf that will be used to complete this recipe is frozen spinach vegetable; because the person couldn’t access Efo shoko leaves in their various locations.
When cooking with frozen spinach first of all defrost and squeeze out the water properly; so that the soup will not become watery after cooking.
How to make Efo Riro with Ugwu (Ugu leaf)
In place of Efo shoko leaf ugwu (Ugu) fluted pumpkin leaf can be used and achieve the same objective; and will be enjoyed by everyone. Follow this simple step-by-step method below and prepare a tasty delicacy for the family to enjoy.
How to Make Efo Riro Soup Recipe
Tips for the best result in cooking Efo recipe use enough palm oil. Although some prefer cooking Efo riro with vegetable oil; while some because of certain health conditions don’t use oil at all. Hence they make Efo riro without palm oil.
- 4 medium-size fresh tomatoes (Optional)
- 2 bunch fresh Efo leaf (shoko leaf)
- 1kg chicken ( or Assorted meat Kpomo, Shaki, smoked Turkey, or beef)
- 4-6 large size bell pepper (Tatashe)
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 ½ cup scotch bonnet pepper (Ata-rodo)
- 2 tablespoon crayfish
- Stockfish (optional)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons Iru (Locust beans)
- Smoked fish or Panla
- 2 Knorr cubes
- Salt to taste
Method of cooking Riro Recipe
- First step, wash the assorted meat and kpomo, wash and debone the smoked fish.
- Secondly, pick the Efo vegetable, after that, wash and chop/slice into chunks; then blanch the Efo vegetable to get a lesser amount of liquid.
- Thirdly, rough blend the tatashe, pepper, onion, and tomatoes keep aside.
- In a clean pot, pour in the assorted meat, stockfish, and pomo, spice with salt, slice onion; and Knorr cube seasoning with little water, place on a heat and cook to soften.
- Meanwhile, if cooking Efo for vegetarians, since it is dried mushroom; soak in warm water to rehydrate the meat section will not be necessary.
- In a deep pot, heat your palm oil, sauté your onions stir fry until golden brown.
- Pour in blended tomato and pepper, allow frying, and stir occasionally so it doesn’t get brunt.
- Fry until almost dry then add in the locust beans (Iru), and smoked fish and stir together with the sauce to dry.
- Finally, add in the cooked assorted meat with the stock (meat water), crayfish, seasoning cube, and salt to taste.
- In conclusion, gentle stir in the Efo shoko leaf or spinach vegetable, turn to mix properly with other soup ingredients adjust to taste, allow to heat well before you remove from stove.
Soup is ready it can be served with varieties, like, Eba food, Fufu, Pounded Yam, Boiled rice.
Serve and enjoy Amala with Efo riro!