Fonio pudding recipe is another method used in cooking acha to form pudding and be enjoyed just like oatmeal; it’s white and creamy, quite nutritious and filling either alone or with bean cake (Akara).
In Nigeria, Fonio is called acha in Hausa language mainly eaten in the Northern region as Tuwo just like making semolina, so, acha flour can also be used for tuwo and it is also used in cooking acha Jollof, Gwote, and Koko acha in form of oatmeal.
Basically, when considering a good and healthy breakfast, acha pudding should be included in your food menu and the family will definitely love this simple pudding.
Millet fonio (acha) is equally good for babies when properly cooked nursing mothers use it in weaning babies, gluten-free healthy cereal, and perfect weight loss meal that is required for optimal body function.
Where to buy fonio grain, for those not residing in the Northern part of Nigerian, check the Hausa foodstuff market, in Lagos you can buy in Oyinbo market.
What is Acha (Fonio)?
Acha is fonio, in other words, fonio is an ancient super grain scientifically known a Digitaria exilis commonly grown in Africa, Acha is a grass species also called “Hungry Rice” white fonio, and millet fonio flour for baking.
Acha and Diabetes
Acha pudding is rich in nutrients, a healthy diet and perfect food for diabetic patients since it contains low carbohydrate, rich in fiber, protein, and other essential amino acids.
Moreover, when making this cereal for a diabetic patient, sugar will not be added to it, rather sugar substitutes like honey or date syrup will be fine.
How to Make Acha (Fonio) Pudding
- ½ cup Fonio
- 1 cup of milk (Almond milk)
- Sugar/Honey/date syrup (optional)
- First of all, rinse the acha thoroughly because of those thin sand particles, after that, place in a cooking pot.
- Secondly, pour in 2 cups of water and place it on the stove to cook on low heat, it requires continuous stirring until the water is full absorb into the grain as it becomes tender.
- Thirdly, remove from stove, dish into a deep bowl place that will contain the sugar and liquid milk, stir to mix, at this point you super pudding is ready.
Serve and enjoy!