Egg Strata recipe is basically an American brunch casserole dish made of egg and milk-soaked in layered bread pieces; sausage or veggies, and sometimes cheese. It’s baked until it’s firm and cooked through, after which cut and served either hot or warm.
However, most of us believe that a hearty, comforting breakfast elevates every occasion!
That is why I enjoy making overnight Strata breakfast casseroles. These quick breakfast bakes are best made the night before the event or holiday.
Then put it in the oven in the morning and you’ll have a quick, hot breakfast ready to go!
It’s a breakfast strata recipe of cheesy custardy insides and a golden crusty top that tastes like a cross between omelette, and savory French toast with milk mix-ins!
Homemade egg Strata recipe is a healthy dish that can be served for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
How to Make Egg Strata Recipe
- 4 cups French bread loaf, cubed
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup ground turkey breast or Ham (already cooked)
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- First and foremost, Set out a large mixing bowl and then Grease the baking dish. Thereafter, chop all necessary ingredients and vegetables.
- In your mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt, and whisk to mix properly. Stir in the cheese, ham or turkey breast, scallions, and red pepper.
- Start tearing in the bread loaf into 1-inch chunks and place it into the baking dish.
- Pour in the egg mixture over the top of the bread. Then use a spatula to fold the bread in, ensure you do it gently. Thereafter, cover and chill until when you are ready to bake.
- Lastly, let the strata recipe rest for about 1hour so the bread soaks up all the eggs, or make it overnight to rest and soak properly.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. (This is a make-ahead overnight recipe, and then go ahead to preheat the oven in the morning.)
- Finally, bake, for 50-60 minutes, until the top is golden-brown and puffy in the center. Insert a stick or sharp knife into the center to check that the eggs are cook. Else, bake another 5-8 minutes.
Allow to cool for some minutes before cutting.
Serve warm and enjoy!