Plantain chips recipe is healthy snacks that can be eaten on the go, in the office, at home and even packed in the kid’s lunch bag for after school snacks.
Nigerian plantain chips are spicy and crunchy snacks that are made with either a ripe plantain, unripe plantains, or slightly ripe and strong plantains to achieve that crunchiness in chips.
However, fried plantain chips are another healthy alternative to potato chips and cassava chips, they are preservative-free, gluten-free and a friendly vegan snack too.
How to Make Plantain Chips for Sale in Nigeria
Making chips especially plantain banana chips for sale in Nigerian is a very good business opportunity for some people, and more are still venturing into the business.
When starting plantain chips business it requires no huge capital, as well as no special kind of equipment, is needed to make these chips.
Hence, the right tools are already in your kitchen to start on a small scale basis before it matures into employing more hands and more equipment.
Moreover, all you need is a little amount of capital to buy your plantain and other ingredients required to make spicy, crispy, and crunchy chips for sale.
Basically, there will be a little hitch during the scarcity of plantains, because it’s a seasonal fruit, so, when it goes out of season is usually very expensive to buy, thereby reducing the profit margin supposed to make by the producer.
Different Shape of Plantain Chips
Platano chips usually come in different shapes and sizes with variety of taste, the round shape is the most common in these chips.
Similarly, because of the different brands in the market, there are so many plantain chips labels, in other words, when choosing a label for your new plantain chips business chose something bright.
Plantain Chips Flavors
kpekere chips also have different flavors, depending on how you will like to adjust to taste, they are as follows:-
- Garlic onion flavor
- Chili pepper flavor
- Ginger flavor
- Vanilla flavor
How to Make Plantain Chips Recipe
In this recipe slightly ripe plantain that is still strong is used to make these tasty and spicy chips.
- Plantain (ripe, unripe)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Ginger or chili pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- First and foremost, wash and peel off the plantain skin
- Secondly, in a bowl of water, slice the plantain into thin round shape slices using your vegetable slicer, after slicing add salt turn to mix properly.
- Thirdly, drain out the water using a sieve, after that, allow to drain very well before frying
- Fourthly, bring to heat your vegetable oil, pour in some amount of sliced plantain into the preheated oil; don’t jam-pack the frying pan rather fry in batches.
- Finally, fry with continuous stir until it turns into a bright fine yellow color and crunchy, at this point, remove and transfer into your sieve already lined with paper towels.
- In conclusion, allow to almost cool before sprinkling your chili pepper, so, when it is completely cooled.
- It can be preserved in air-tight containers and keep for home use snacks, but for sales package in the right pack with a label ready to be sold.
Serve and enjoy!
Picture courtesy of mamachioma