Brown beans and fried plantain recipe is a Nigerian delicacy enjoyed by very tribe and is popularly known as beans and dodo by the Yoruba’s.
Beans are a staple food that is healthy with good nutritional value, Brown beans is also a legume. Moreover, legumes are usually low in fat, a good source of dietary fiber, high in protein; it contains iron, magnesium, potassium, and folate. In other words, bean helps to reduce blood sugar levels, perfect for those on the weight loss program.
Meanwhile, plantain also refers to as (cooking big banana) of the cultivars genus Musa in banana family.
The green plantains are high in resistant starch (healthy starch) that does not increase blood sugar (regulate blood sugar to a normal level) it also makes you feel very full after eating. However, the ripe plantain is carbohydrate though very sweet when fried usually not advisable for those with high blood sugar (diabetes patients).
Homemade porridge beans and fried plantain is so easy to cook, I really love the aspect of frying the plantain because I must taste out of every batch fried…..like keep testing.
How to Cook Porridge Brown Beans and Fried Plantain
- 2 cups of Brown beans or black-eyed beans
- 1 medium-size onion finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 seasoning cubes
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 ripe plantains
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 round smoked fish
- 2 medium-size fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- Onion and pepper (chopped)
Method of Preparation
- First and foremost, pick the beans to remove debris, and then wash properly thereafter; place in a pot add enough water and cook until the beans are almost tender.
- Secondly, add the sliced onions, pepper, crayfish, seasoning cubes, palm oil, and salt with a sizeable amount of water cover and allow cooking until completely soft with little quantity of water left on it. Remove from Heat cover and keep aside
- Thirdly, wash your plantains, peel the skin and slice. In a frying pan heat the vegetable oil, stir in the plantains fry until color turns golden brown on both sides.
- Finally, reduce the quantity of oil and fry the smoked fish for another 5-7 minutes remove from heat. Stir in the onions stir fry for 2 minutes and pour in the chopped tomatoes and fry to dry add salt.
- In conclusion, use the tomato sauce and coat the fried fish properly.
Serve a delicious bean with fried plantain dish.