Moi Moi is traditional Nigerian delicacy steam cooked with blended beans to make perfect moi moi, this delicious meal can be eaten all alone or as a side dish in jollof rice, pap (Akamu, Ogi), garri, or with salad.
This popular food commonly serves in weddings, parties, special occasions, and festivals, once jollof rice is present moin moin is the next-door neighbor no doubt about that.
Basically, there are different ways of cooking this delicious food and still enjoy a good result.
It can be wrapped in leaves (thaumatococcus Daniellii), Aluminum foil, Banana leaves, heatproof nylon, and in moi-moi plates.
In the absence of Uma leaves I love using moin moin plates, since it’s easier to handle and the fear of the mixture being pouring out while trying to wrap or the foil and nylon bursting on the process of cooking is not necessary.
How to Peel Beans for Moi Moi
Peeling beans coat for moi moi, akara, and beans fritas is quite tasking thou, but it has to be done in other to achieve a great result using this simple method.
Soak the beans for 10 minutes in water, thereafter, sieve out the water and mash either with your hands or using a mortar and pestle to do a little pounding then remove from mortar,
When using both hands to mash it take a little time before the coat peels off, pour in water and serve out the chaff, repeat process several times until all beans skin is removed.
How to make Moi Moi with a Blender
Items needed for this process are as follows:-
- Peeled Beans
- Step one; you need to soak beans for like 10 minutes
- Step two, pour the beans into your blender, and add water
- Lastly, blend on high speed until smooth, if its too thick to blend add in more water, ensure a smooth blend.
- Beans are now ready to be used for moin moin.
How to preserve Already Peeled Beans for Moi Moi
There are simple ways you can preserve your already peeled beans until when you have time to make moimoi.
Sun Dry Method – Nigerians are blessed with bright weather climate in most cases.
- Speed your peeled beans in the sun to dry for like 2-3 days
- Blend using grain mill into a powdered form
- Store in a tight cover container and keep for later use.
Freezing method – it can also be freeze
- Package into a Ziploc bags then freeze
- Ensure it is packaged in moderate usable sizes for each meal.
- To defrost a frozen beans place into a large bowl of water and allow to defrost before using to cook.
How to Cook Perfect Nigerian Moi-Moi Recipe
- 3 cups of beans (Brown or Black eyed beans)
- 4 habanero pepper (atarodo, ose, fresh pepper)
- 4 Tatashe pepper
- 1 large onion
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cubes Maggi seasonings
- 3 tablespoons of ground Cray-fish
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Water (as desired)
- Corned beef: this is added into the blended beans before cooking
- Hard-boiled eggs: the eggs should be cut into 2 equal places add to the puree beans before cooking.
- Born marrow: spice and cook ready for use in cooking your mai mai as some will call it.
- Fish: remove the bones spice and cook or use can fish.
Before cooking this recipe
Most importantly, the beans should be wash as you remove the skin/coat, thereafter, soak the beans in clean water for about 5-10 minutes while you organize other ingredients.
Similarly, the plates should be rinsed and coat with vegetable oil set for use.
Method of cooking plate moi moi
- First and foremost wash your onions and dice, wash the tatashe and remove the seeds, and the habanero pepper (atarodo) ready for blending.
- Secondly, drain the water from the beans and blend together with your pepper, onions, tatashe, and puree to smooth then, pour into a large deep bowl.
- Thirdly, pour in the vegetable oil into a frying pan and heat, after that pour the hot oil into the grinded beans, add in your cray-fish, Maggi seasoning, nutmeg, salt to taste, and enough water.
- Fourthly, turn to ensure all ingredients are well mix and not too thick else add more water making it lighter not too watery.
- Finally, is time to start dishing in the moi moi into the coated plates, subsequently, adding your fish ready to cook.
- In conclusion, in a large pot, pour in little water place on fire to cook, after that, start placing the plates into the pot when done cover cook for about 1 hour.
- However, the size of each plate also determines the length of time it takes while cooking, but to be on the safe side, use a knife and pears, if the knife comes out clean then it is done if not cook for another 10 minutes.
In addition, remove from fire allow cooling serve warm, not hot.
Serve and enjoy!