Moin Moin and pap is a staple breakfast food in the Western Part of Africa especially Nigeria.
Pap is a palatable corn pudding that can be served with a list of varieties such as Moi Moi, Akara (Bean Ball), fried plantain and the likes. However, when served with moin moin it’s really filling and highly nutritious.
Moin Moin recipe is a whole vibes on its own. It offers a highly proteinous meal, and it can also be served with varieties as a side dish in rice, Salad, spaghetti, plantain, Eko, Bread, garri, and others.
Homemade moin moin with leave is very easy, although some people find it difficult to wrap the leave making it firm to hold the already mixed beans paste as it cooks without spilling out. However, constant practice helps you perfect wrapping moi moi with leave. On the other hand, there are other simpler methods of preparing this recipe like moin moin with foil, moi moi containers (plate), and Nylon bag.
Personally I love moi moi, ever since I discover how to peel beans using a blender or I use bean flour which is the fastest of it all. I call it cooking made easy just go ahead and mix your ingredients with beans flour and in minutes your food is ready.
How to Make Moin Moin with Leave
- 2 cups Black-eyed peas or brown beans
- 4 pieces scotch bonnet pepper (Ata rodo)
- 4 pieces Bell pepper (Tatashe)
- 1 large onion
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 2 Seasoning cube
- 1 cooking spoon veg oil
- bunch of Moi Moi leaves (finely washed)
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 boiled eggs (optional)
- Mackerel Fish
- Sugar or Honey
- First of all, wash and peel the beans by removing the skin, you can use a blender to peel beans, thereafter soak to soften. Similarly, you can as well buy bean flour and avoid peeling beans skin since they all serve the same purpose.
- Secondly, boil the eggs in case you decide to use egg or wash and spice the fish then cook after that debone the fish and keep aside.
- Thirdly, pour in the already peeled beans into a blender with the bell pepper, onions, scotch bonnet pepper and blend until the paste is smooth.
- The next step is to pour the pureed beans into a deep bowl, heat the veg oil and pour into the beans, add seasoning cubes, crayfish, and salt to taste.
- Finally, mix all ingredients properly, use a scoop to dish beans batter into the wrapped leave then add fish or egg the choice is yours and fold properly then place in a pot already boiling with little water inside it.
- In conclusion, cook for about 45 -50 minutes and constantly check to add more water to the moi moi, don’t pour too much water at a time, ensure your add water bit-by-bit until moyin moyin is set (done).
- Remove from heat, likewise remove from the pot or transfer to another pot and cover to keep it warm.
Make Pap/Akamu/Ogi see how you can make a perfect Ogi
Serve and enjoy!