Yam and fish sauce is one lovable meal that can’t be underrated in Nigerian homes, it is easy and fast to prepare. It can be prepared in various methods; it could be roasted, boiled, or fried, depending on your preference. I am a lover of fried yam.
Tasty fried yam is a common street snack in Nigeria, widely available and easy to cook, it’s well enjoyable when combined with healthy fried fish and spiced sauce.
I love my yam fried in such a way that the outside part is quite crunchy and the inside is moist. The crunchy feeling from the outside bite and the moist taste from the inside is what makes me fall in love with it more, and also with the sauce garnished with lots of onions and diced tomatoes and pepper, with the fish fried or grilled.
Fried yam with fish Sauce is mostly suitable for breakfast and dinner, the combo is quite healthy because it comprises carbohydrates and protein.
How to Make Fried Yam and Fish Sauce Recipe
In cooking this delicious dish the ingredients are in batches
For the Fried Yam
- 5 Slices of yam
- Vegetable oil for Frying
- Salt to taste
For the Sauce
- 2 pieces fresh tomatoes
- 1 small onion
- 2 cooking spoons of veg oil
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- 1 Green bell pepper
- 1 seasoning cube
- Oil for frying
- fried fish, Smoked fish or Grill Fish
- First and foremost, peel the yam, cut into any choice shape or size, wash and drain water, and set aside.
- Secondly, sprinkle salt on the yam, toss to combine properly, and then in a frying pan, bring oil to heat.
- Stir in the yam and fry on medium-low heat until the color turns golden yellow well-cooked to doneness. Remove and transfer into a sieve allow to drain oil.
Fish Sauce Recipe for Yam
- Step 1: Clean the fish by removing the scales, stomach, and gills, thereafter, wash and place on a sieve to drain water.
- Step 2: In a small bowl add ½ teaspoon pepper, ginger powder, garlic, salt, seasoning cube, 1 tablespoon veg oil, and mix all ingredients together.
- Place the fish in a flat plate, with a sharp knife give the fish 3 deep cuts on each side: and marinate using the mixture and rob/coat all over the fish. At this point you can either grill or fry, So go ahead and grill.
- The next step is to wash and slice your onion and tomatoes in a ring shape, in a frying pan bring oil to heat, stir in the sliced onion. Stir fry for about 30 seconds, and add the tomatoes and fry with a continuous stir for 2-4 minutes.
- Lastly, add salt, cinnamon powder, and seasoning cube the fry for few seconds, and remove from heat.
- Blend your green bell pepper and set it aside.
Serve by dishing out the food; start with placing the fish first, and then your fried yam, by the side add the tomato sauce and green pepper as a dipping sauce.
Wow! Food is ready
Tasty and delicious fish and fried yam