Tostones is a savory comfort side dish of twice-fried plantains that is thinly flattened, salty, and crispy when properly fried. Tostones recipe is just an awesome delight among the Cuban, Dominican, Caribbean, Puerto Rican, and Latin Americans.
However, it is important to understand the tricks on how to make a golden mashed double-fried plantain bananas; that can be eaten either as a snack with dipping sauce or as a side dish to a meal.
The Cuban Tostones also called Patacones are finely slices of green unripe plantains; they are pre-fried, mashed, and refried into a crispy finger food that is delicious.
Moreover, the appearance looks more like a sweet banana but is actually unripe big plantain banana half-fried; and compressed that gives it the look of a banana.
Homemade Tostonoes are easy to make and should be included in the family menu to enable every member of the family to enjoy this wonderful Cuban cuisine. I can assure you of one thing you will definitely Love it.
How to Make Tostones Recipe – Cuban Tostones
There are different versions of making platano verde such as soaking in lime – garlic water and the method of simple twice-fried without soaking in water. Whatever steps you intend to use in making this savory fritos verdes, the Hispanic recipe is quite acceptable.
- 2 green plantains
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 lime juice (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 cups water (optional)
- First of all, peel your plantains by cutting off both edges; then make a vertical line through it skin which makes it easier to peel.
- Secondly, give it a chunk cut of about 1-inch thickness and set aside ready for fry.
- Thirdly, heat your vegetable oil using a skillet pan, stir in the sliced plantains and fry till color is light golden brown; then remove and transfer to a sieve lined with kitchen paper towel.
- Next is to mash the plantain. place in a flat surface and use the back of your wooden spoon to flatten the patacones; or use a tostonera to press the slices of plantain. This process is what gives you those rough edges you see on To stones.
- Finally, take it back to the frying pan and finish the frying until it turns golden yellow crisps and crunchy as well; remove from heat into a paper towel repeat the same process for all batches until none is left.
Serve with and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Betty Cortina Via nbclatino.com