This Nigerian bean stew recipe with fried plantain is so irresistible and a very delicious meal, beans is another popular and staple food especially African bean stew.
Bean and stew is a high protein food, very filling healthy diet and heart-friendly food that should be included in the family food menu.
However, Nigerian homemade bean stew with tomatoes is very easy to cook as I am going to show you the basic steps to get your bean cooked perfectly in a good time.
I believe most of you have a story on how you are lured into eaten beans as a child; well for me my story goes thus, growing up, my mum will tell me to eat beans so that I can grow tall, the funniest aspect of it is that my younger sister loves bean and she is taller than me. (Trust me I ate the beans well, did I grow tall? I don’t know!) So what is your own story? I will love to hear it.
Back to our stewed bean recipe, there are different kinds of beans that can be used in cooking this savory dish like the black eye peas, honey beans, and pinto beans.
Back to our stewed bean recipe, there are different kind of beans that can be used in cooking this savory dish like the black eye peas, honey beans, and pinto beans.
Basically, we are going to see how to cook plain beans, how to cook beans with groundnut oil stew to go with, using black eyed beans Nigerian recipe, and lastly we should always be eating beans and ripe plantain.
Similarly, let see how to cook beans with tomatoes and how to cook white beans in Nigeria.
How to Make Nigerian Stewed Beans Recipe
- 2 cups black eye peas or (Honey beans)
- 1 cup of pureed tomatoes
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 2 Knorr bouillons seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crayfish
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grounded fresh pepper
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Toppings to serve with
- 2 medium-size ripe plantain
- 1 sizeable tilapia fish
- Vegetable oil to fry
Method of cooking Nigerian stewed beans
- First of all, start by picking the bean because chewing stone when eating your beans is not a good experience.
- Secondly, wash and place in a pot, pour in enough water and cook until it is soft and tender remove from heat, and set aside.
- Thirdly, in a clean pot heat up the vegetable oil pour in the onions stir fry and add the grounded tomatoes and pepper, stir fry until dry then add curry, Knorr cube, crayfish, salt, and little water, allow cooking for like 5-10 minutes and remove from heat.
- Finally, wash and clean the fish, sprinkle salt and fry until both sides turn brown and dry, after that, remove from fire, peel the skin of the plantain slice and fry till it turns golden brown.
At this point, all the different recipe of the food is ready to be served, so go ahead and dish out the bean, fried plantain, and stew.
Serve and enjoy!
Picture Courtesy of ChefnShopper