Beef stew and rice recipe are one of the classic Nigerian dishes, a must found recipe in every Nigerian home especially on a Sunday, with a side dish to compliment this mouth watery delicacy like fried plantain, steam vegetables, beans, or salad.
Basically, beef stew with rice is almost the same thing with the normal chicken stew or turkey stew the only difference is the meat used in cooking this recipe.
Nigerian pepper stew or tasty beef stew doesn’t require so much spice, although some will like to cook stew with ginger and garlic, simply adjust to your taste when making Nigerian tomato stew.
Moreover, let’s look at how to fry stew for white rice, especially how to prepare beef stew, some calls it African beef stew, they are all easy to cook.
So, in other to enjoy the sweet aroma that emanates from the fresh beef meat minimize the spices.
What is African Beef Stew?
African beef stew is a famous mouthwatering stew cooked with beef and tomatoes; It’s a traditional West African stew often served at home on a number of different occasions. It’s an indispensable gift during the holidays and during meals of the week.
How to Make Nigerian Rice and Stew Recipe
Ingredients for Rice and Stew
- 1 kg of beef meat
- ½ kg fresh tomatoes
- ½ cup of scotch bonnet pepper (Ata Rodo)
- 4 Red bell peppers (Tatashe)
- Knorr seasoning cubes
- Curry leaf or parsley (optional)
- 2 medium-size onion
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 small-size onion chopped for steaming the meat
- Salt to taste
Method of preparing stew with beef
- The first step, wash and spice the meat with chopped onions, curry, thyme, Knorr cubes, and salt to taste without water.
- Secondly, place on fire and steam for about 7 minutes, the meat will absorb all ingredients and bring out water as it cooks.
- Thereafter, add water and allow cooking until tender and soft, remove from heat use a different pot and fry until brown on both sides the keep aside.
- Next is to wash tomatoes, pepper, tatashe, and onion, after that blend to smooth, pour in the mixture into a pot and boil until the excess water dries up.
- Finally, using the same pot of the fried meat, pour in the boiled tomatoes and fry for like 10 minutes, then add the beef stock, spices, salt, fried meat, and water, and cover.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, sprinkle in the sliced curry leaf and remove from heat.
- Lastly, parboil rice, wash and cook to done, at this point your white rice and stew are ready to be served.
Serve and enjoy plain rice and stew with fried plantain side dish!
Pictures of Nigerian Rice and Stew