Chicken tomato stew is a spicy and delicious stew recipe you will always find in most Nigerian homes especially on Sunday with boiled white rice and chicken tomato stew what a good combination.
Basically, tomato stew is one soup you will constantly see in virtually every Nigerian family fridge/freezer waiting to be used either in cooking spaghetti, yam, beans, bread, and rice
However, whole tomato is versatile and can be easily transformed into whatever kind of recipe you intend cooking such as beef tomato stew, turkey tomato stew, assorted meat tomato stew, and fish tomato stew.
Meanwhile, there are different ways on how to prepare tomato stew with chicken in Africa, but, Nigerian chicken tomato stew is quite appetizing, in the same vein, very nutritious with good health benefit that nourishes the body.
How to cook stew without frying the tomatoes
You can conveniently cook stew without fry the tomatoes for those who don’t eat fried foods. A simple method of cooking tomato stew without frying is as follows:-
- Wash and blend your tomatoes, onions, scotch bonnet pepper, red bell pepper (Tatashe), and ginger (optional).
- Wash the beef, chicken, or turkey spice with onions, Knorr cubes, salt, curry, thyme, and onga classic spices then parboil the meat.
- Pour in the blended tomatoes into the boiling meat, add 2 soup spoons of vegetable oil, after that continue cooking for another 25 – 30 minutes at this point the sour taste changes, the aroma of fresh tomato disappears, likewise the color changes too.
- The stew becomes slightly thicker with less water, on this note you’re sweet and tantalizing non-fry tomato stew is ready.
Remove from heat allow sitting for 5 minutes before serving.
How to make chicken tomato stew
- 1.5kg fresh chicken
- 2kg fresh tomatoes
- 200mg tin tomato
- ½ kg scotches bonnet pepper (atarodo)
- ½ kg red bell pepper
- 2 large onions
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 2 tablespoons crayfish
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 stock cubes
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- Curry leaf or Ugu- pumpkin leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
For the Chicken
- Salt to taste
- Curry powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic and ginger
- 2 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 medium-size onion
Instruction on how to make stew
First of all, wash the chicken, place in a pot, thereafter, spice and cook until chicken is tenderize then, remove from heat drain and fry keep aside.
Secondly, wash your tomatoes then, chopped tomatoes into a pot and boil for like 5-7 minutes, drain the excess water before allowing cool off.
Thirdly, blend the red bell pepper, atarode, and onions; heat your vegetable oil in a pot and pour in the blended mixture including the tomatoes stir fry for about 20 minutes.
In addition, the consistency reduces drastically in size, the oil starts separating from the tomatoes which shows the stew is well fried.
Finally, pour in the chicken sauce already set aside and the fried chicken, add the crayfish, curry, thyme, seasoning cubes, salt, and little water, cook for another 10 minutes the chicken stew recipe is good to go.
Serve with white rice and beans enjoy your meal.