Boiled Peanuts Recipe – Boiled Groundnuts | How to Make Boiled Peanuts
Boiled peanuts are a type of nut that is boiled in saltwater. As the name suggests, boiled peanuts are boiled in salt water for a long time to soften their tough shell and make them more edible. Once they’ve been boiled, they’re served as a snack or appetizer.
Boiled peanuts have a unique taste that sets them apart from other nuts. When soaked in salt water for hours, you can taste the flavor of the salt and the earthiness of the peanut. Boiled peanuts are usually eaten plain.
Moreover, boiled peanuts can be found in roadside stands and grocery stores in countries like Nigeria, Ghana, boiled groundnuts are seasonal and is being hawked around the street. Making them can also be an easy way to spend time with your family as everyone gets along in a conversation while popping the groundnut shell.
Basically, Boiling peanuts for hours is an art form that requires patience and attention. It’s important to watch the pot so they don’t boil dry or overflow and make a mess on the stovetop.
Cook them longer if you like them softer. The nuts themselves should be fully soft on the inside. If you like them crunchy or crisp, cook them for a short while.
Boiled Groundnuts | How to Make Boiled Peanuts
They are so tasty and filling! The flavor of the peanut will infuse into your mouth and it will be delicious! Here’s a guide on how to make boiled peanuts at home:
- Raw peanuts with shell /Raw Groundnuts
- Water for cooking
Directions on How to Make Boiled Peanuts
- First of all, wash the groundnuts (raw peanuts) thoroughly. Because groundnut is a root crop, you must carefully wash it to remove all of the sand.
- In a large saucepan or pot, bring a large amount of water to a boil add salt to the water and stir properly.
- When the water has reached a rolling boil, add the washed groundnuts.
- Many will float if the peanuts are particularly dry. But never mind the groundnuts will sink on their own once they have absorbed the cooking liquid.
- Stir everything together, then cover the pot and leave it to simmer on its own.
- In about 15 minutes, If the peanuts aren’t salty enough for your liking, season them with extra salt.
- cook for about 45 – 60 minutes, you can smell it, and when you open the shell, you’ll see a difference in color between the cooked and raw versions. Ensure it has been cooked to tender/soft.
- Finally, remove from stovetop and pour into a strainer and then run under cold water to cool.
Enjoy the seeds by cracking the shell apart and eating them. You can’t stop once you start until it”s finished!
What is the difference between green peanuts and raw peanuts?
Raw peanuts are nuts that have not been roasted or cooked. They may also refer to as Green Peanuts.
How much time does it take to boil peanuts?
How much time it takes to boil peanuts depends on the level of heat applied. It take between 1 hour to 2 hours to boil peanuts, simply put peanuts in a pot, add water, salt, and bring to a boil until soft.
Do you have to soak raw peanuts before boiling?
Yes and No! You can soak before boiling though not compulsory. To start cooking the peanuts, add salt to a large stockpot of water and bring to a boil before adding the nuts. The peanut tends to float a little bit if you don’t soak them first. Give them a few quick shakes. They will gradually settle down.
How long should boiled peanuts soak after boiling?
Overnight soaking is recommended or soak for 2-4 hours. (Skip this step if you don’t have enough time; it just saves a little bit of time while boiling. Likewise, if you’re using green peanuts, omit it because fresh raw peanuts are softer compared to dry peanuts.
How do you know when boiled peanuts are done?
After adding salt and covering the pot, cook the peanuts on High heat for 1-2 hours, or until they reach the required softness. Drain, and then serve.
Why won’t my boiled peanuts get soft?
Dried peanuts will take longer to soak. It can be soaked overnight or for at least 8 hours before cooking since they will need more time to soften. By soaking the peanuts, you can make sure that they will cook more easily and with a great texture (softer).
Can you microwave boiled peanuts?
Yes! They have a totally different texture from roasted peanuts and are best consumed right away while still warm. You can reheat on microwave if you have any left over or if you ordered them by mail. This will make them taste like freshly cooked boiled peanuts again.
How do you warm up canned boiled peanuts?
They come out of the can already boiled and ready to enjoy. But if you’d want, you can warm it up by simply pour the entire contents into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 60 to 90 seconds.