Catfish Stew – How to prepare Catfish Stew Recipe
Catfish Stew is a tasty and delicious seafood stew! It is perfect for any dish since it is so flexible. Serve with white rice, yam, pasta, ewedu, plain okra soup, couscous, as well as bread, among other things.
Fresh point and kill catfish as it is called in Naija is cooked in a stew with tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and stock to make Catfish Stew. This stew is simple and beautiful. It’s filling, flavorful, and delectable!
Although this recipe asks for fresh or whole Tilapia fish, you can substitute fish fillets. I’ve utilized fillets a few times now, and I’m really pleased with the results! Keep in mind, however, that after the fillets are added to the stew, you must keep an eye on them to avoid them from dissolving. It takes 5 minutes to prepare the fillet.
I understand that the slimy aspect of catfish always put people off, but it is easy to get rid of, and I will show you how I clean catfish.
Can you freeze Catfish stew?
Yes! Is it possible to freeze catfish stew; This stew may be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days. When kept in the fridge overnight, the taste shines even brighter. If you wish to freeze it, just remove the piece you want to freeze as soon as it’s done cooking.
Catfish Stew – How to Perfectly Clean Catfish
The catfish I used in this dish was gutted and cleaned with the assistance of my butcher. If you have to clean it up by yourself, I have always utilized the following two methods:
Salt the fish’s skin before cooking.
- Soak it for 1-2 minutes in a pot of boiled water the Slime will simply slide off. Or
- Scrub with Alum.
The Fish had been completely cleaned, I immersed it in hot water for a 2 minutes. Because catfish is a naturally soft fish, the hot water will assist to firm up the fish a little, minimizing the odds of it falling apart in the stew.
Nigerian Catfish Stew – How to Prepare Catfish Stew Recipe
Ingredients for Catfish Stew
- 1 medium-size Catfish, steaks (gutted and cleaned)
- 6 fresh Tomatoes
- 2 Red bell pepper
- 1 large onion
- 4 scotch bonnet – Rodo
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 inch Ginger, Fresh
- 2 Seasoning cubes
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil/palm oil
- Salt to taste
Instructions on Catfish Stew
- First of all, wash and blend your Tomatoes, red bell peppers, scotch bonnet, Garlic, Ginger, and Onion together in a blender.
- Secondly, preheat the Oil in a pan, pour in the blended tomatoes mixture, stir and continue fry, cook for about 10 -15 minutes.
- Thirdly, add your cube powder and salt to taste, thereafter, stir to combine and cook for another 2 minutes
- Finally, add the catfish to the stew, and gently stir the fish stew so that the fish will not break into bits.
- Then hold the pot on the 2 sides and gently shake, it will helps move the fish around the pot without breaking it into bits.
- Lastly, Cook for another 5-8 minutes as the fish is totally cooked to doneness.
Remove from heat as your delicious stew fish is ready
Serve warm with rice and enjoy!