Chicken Carrot Stew is another way of adding vegetables to your meal. Our recipe today is basically on how to cook Carrot stew without tomatoes that are tasty and delicious.
Meanwhile, carrot stew not only adds color and flavor to your meal but a natural sweetness to the stew that you cannot imagine and no sugar was added to it.
Often people believe raw vegetables are more nutritious, that is not true; cooking allowed us to spend less time chewing while allowing us to absorb more nutrients.
While nutrients such as Vitamin C are destroyed by heating the fruits and vegetables, lycopene, an antioxidant found in tomatoes, is increased by cooking. Similarly, the levels of beta-carotene, the body converts to Vitamin A, are increased by cooking carrots.
Carrot Stew As a Healthy Alternative
Carrot stew with chicken is an alternative to the traditional Nigerian tomato stew which is so popular in every part of the Country. The method of preparing Carrot stew is almost the same as that of tomatoes; the only ingredient that will not be included is tomatoes.
Moreover, Nigerians tend to replace tomato stew with vegetable sauce, vegetable stew; while the Igbo’s will go for Ofe Akwu which is known as Banga soup/stew for rice.
It is very tasty and healthy, can be equally used in any other thing like tomato stew, and can be eating with many varieties such as boiled white rice, yam, pasta, and plantain.
Similarly, Nigeria Jollof rice is a staple food. One of the main ingredients in the preparation of Jollof rice is fresh tomatoes.
With the same vein, carrots can be used to prepare Jollof rice. Carrot is used instead of fresh tomatoes, and can also be used in the preparation of carrot Jollof rice.
As you can see, carrot stew is just as important as tomato stew because it meets the same requirements.
Different Varieties of Carrot Stew
There are different methods of cooking carrot stew; we have stew with carrots and green beans, you can also make carrot sauce for rice. We also have the Vegetarian carrot stew, pea’s carrot recipe, carrot soup recipe, and lastly tomato carrot stew. However, there are quite a number of carrots stew, and soup recipes you can cook and enjoy with your family.
Funny enough it’s on the process of making carrot stew I learnt how to make carrot whistle. Carrot whistle is actually a flute made out of carrot so in essence, you can make a veggie flute.
Homemade carrot stew is very easy to cook likewise stewed carrot the Lebanese bazella recipe. I used chicken for this carrot stew recipe but, you can use beef or any meat or fish of your choice.
Also Read >>> Carrot Juice Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits
How to Make Carrot Stew Recipe
- 10 medium sizes carrots
- 1 kg chicken or Beef
- 6 pcs Fresh bonnet pepper (Atarodo) blended
- 2 medium sizes onion (finely sliced)
- 1 tablespoon grounded crayfish
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 pcs bay leaf
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 seasoning cubes
- ½ teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 sachet Onga classic (optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying
- First and foremost, Wash, scrape the back of the carrots, wash again, cut into chunks or slice and blend to smooth; just the way you puree tomatoes.
- Secondly, wash your chicken or beef, spice with curry, thyme, garlic, ginger, bay leaf, salt, onions, seasoning cube, and onga spice with little quantity of water; then cook to tender.
- Thirdly, in a pot bring the oil to heat, stir in your sliced onions, fry for 20 seconds, thereafter, add your blended carrots and stir intermittently at a regular interval until the water is completely dry
- The next step is to add your pepper, meat stock, and other ingredients and water, stir properly and cover.
- Finally, allow cooking for about 15 minutes at this point the consistency is slightly thick, stir and taste for salt.
Remove from heat.
Serve and Enjoy with rice or spaghetti!
Hurray! Try out this recipe and leave a comment