Chin chin commonly refers to as chop one is most Nigerians favorite snack, is a mixture of flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, and nutmeg to make a perfect Nigerian snack.
Chin chin is a must have pastry in every home especially during festive period like Christmas celebration, Easter, thanksgiving and the likes.
Meanwhile, enjoying a crunchy or crispy chin chin cannot be complete without nutmeg to spice up your perfect homemade easy snack.
What is Nutmeg?
Nutmeg is a spice from the seed of the fragrant nutmeg tree (Myristica fragrans). In Nigeria nutmeg is used a lot in making
- 3 cups of flour (approx. 375grams + 1 cup extra for sprinkling)
- I teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 cup butter (margarine) 150 grams
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor (optional)
- Oil needed for frying
Method of Preparation
- First and foremost, mix sugar and milk in a jug or bowl then allow soaking for a while.
- Secondly get a clean dry bowl large enough to contain mixture of all ingredients, sieve your flour into the bowl, add nutmeg, and butter then fondle until smoothness is achieved.
- Thirdly break the eggs and whisk after that add to the flour mixture likewise the milk/ sugar mixture, and vanilla flavor into the flour and mix.
- At this point adequate kneading is required using both hands in other to derive elastic sort of dough.
- Thereafter, rub the dough to smoothen, cover with a towel for about 45 – 60 minutes
- Bring the dough to a flat surface sprinkling bit of flour on the surface, divide the dough mixture in four equal parts before using roller pin to roll all four balls making it flat.
- Use a knife and cut to your desired size and shapes at the same time sprinkle bit of flour in other to prevent sticking together.
- Pour in your vegetable oil into the frying pan then deep fry, stir continuously until color turn golden brown before removing from heat using a sieve to drain the oil.
- Finally continue to repeat the same processes until eventually all dough’s are fried.
- In conclusion allow cooling totally after that store in a plastic container.
Serve and enjoy your chop one with a cold drink, zobo drink or homemade kunu drink.