Falafel is ground chickpeas spiced and deep-fried in a ball shape fondly called falafel, meanwhile, it is an ancient traditional food eaten all over the Middle East which has also gained popularity in Nigerian cuisine.
Spicy falafel recipe and how to make these simple balls just like Akara balls in Nigeria using chickpeas, fava beans, or a mixture of the two ingredients to form a ball like delicious dish.
Moreover, it is basically referred to as sandwich wraps, flatbread wraps, and can be eaten as a healthy breakfast food, perfect afternoon snack, meze, or as a side dish with other recipes for dinner.
What is Falafel?
Falafel is a chickpea, a legume in the family of Fabaceae, scientifically called Cicer arietium, which has diverse types such as Bangal gram, gram, or garbanzo beans.
However, it’s a perfect description of the entire ingredient.
Falafel Nutritional facts
Chickpeas are a rich source of protein which is good for optimal body function; it contains folate, vitamin K, zinc, manganese, phosphorus, copper, and iron. Similarly, it also contains magnesium and vitamin B-12, chickpeas are gluten-free and superb vegan food.
Falafel Vegan best recipe
Vegan is a kind of vegetarian diet which excludes dairy products, eggs, and meat, so, it is a good replacement for meat. Hence, it’s equally a good source of plant-based protein and is highly eaten by vegans.
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 medium size onions
- 3 teaspoon fresh parsley (finely slice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin
How to make yogurt sauce
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
- First and foremost, pour in your chickpeas in a large bowl, after that pour water into the chickpeas and soak overnight. Furthermore, canned chickpeas can also be used in a situation whereby you can’t soak overnight.
- Secondly, on the next day drain the water, place the already soaked chickpeas and onions in a food processor or a blender as you crush with the steel blade.
- Thirdly, add the garlic, parsley, cumin, and blend unsmooth then add the dry black pepper, sprinkle in the flour as it enables the dough form and won’t gum the hands when making the balls. Then roll mixtures into balls ready for fries.
- Fourthly, heat vegetable oil on a deep frying pan or pot, as soon as the oil is hot enough at 375F roll in the balls and fry until golden brown gently turn to other side and fry same way. same way of frying akara in Nigeria is how to fry chickpeas.
- Finally, remove from heat allow draining on a sieve or on paper towels.
- In addition, to make a delicious yogurt sauce, get a small bowl, whisk all ingredients listed above (yogurt, oil, and lemon juice) then add your salt and pepper to taste.
Serve your Falafel with yogurt sauce and enjoy!!