Onions are one of the ingredients you must find in a kitchen, onions bulb is classified as a vegetable which is scientifically known as (Allium cepa), yabasi in Igbo, alubosa in Yoruba and alibassa in Hausa. Furthermore It is basically used in preparing most delicacies in Nigeria, they all come in different sizes, shape, flavor, and color
Onions will always make you cry when slicing it because of the sulfur compound present in it, once slice it produces gas that comes in contact with the water in your eye thereby forcing you to cry.
Onions have strong aromas depending on the particular type you want for your culinary, moreover, they all turn out spicy and delicious on every meal. It can be eaten raw, boiled, fried or cooked, however, onions are also used for salad dressing, a savory dish, and sweet dishes.
Types of Onions
- Red Onions – reddish-purple skin is the common one we all know
- Garlic –Worldwide vegetable cannot be hidden
- Cipolline – it’s known as squat shape and flat top
- Scallions or Green – the normal spring onion’s we all know
- Ramps or wild leeks– native spring onion it has a strong taste
- Sweet Onions or fresh – it low sulfur content makes the sugar noticeable
- Pearl – smaller in nature
- White Onions – is named based on the color of its skin and flesh.
- Shallots – looks like oversized garlic cloves
- Yellow Spanish onion – it has a papery skin
Health Benefits of Onions
Generally, all fruits and vegetables are a good source of antioxidant; onion antioxidant helps fight free radicals in the cells that could lead to chronic diseases like cancer, diabetes, stroke.
Fiber in onions is of two different types the soluble and insoluble, the insoluble fiber in this vegetable aid free bowel movement, and perfect digestive system without constipation. Soluble fiber collect water in the process on digestion and transform it into gel after that, it slows the absorption of carbohydrate into the blood. Soluble fiber reduces cholesterol therefore diet rich in fiber is very important for optimal health.
Allium vegetable has low calories content which is very good for obesity, however the vitamin C and B6 is good for the skin and hair.
The folate in this vegetable is vital for the formation of red blood cells and healthy function of the cells.
Intolerance can cause bloating and gas