Fresh donuts recipe is delicious especially homemade Nigerian doughnuts, it is a popular street snack in Nigerian and we all love the rich texture of these snacks when properly fried or baked.
Plain donuts can easily be eaten with jam, sugar dip, a cold drink or with a glass of milk.
However, doughnut is being spelled in two different ways Doughnuts or Donuts; they are both the same food. Doughnut is the original preferred spelling widely accepted but it has been Americanized and shortened into another version which is being pronouns as Donuts.
Hence, for this recipe fresh donuts, we are using both words doughnuts and donuts interchangeably.
Doughnut can be made healthy and enjoyable with less butter and sugar ingredients, in the same vein, using a good vegetable oil to fry your doughnuts will certainly lower the excess calories associated with pastries.
How to Make Fresh Doughnuts-Nigerian Fresh Donuts Recipe from Scratch
- 2cups of flour
- 1 egg (whisked)
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- ½ cup of milk
- 2 tablespoon butter or margarine –melted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Warm water
Method of preparations
- First of all, in a deep bowl, pour in the milk, melted butter and sugar then mix the 3 ingredients properly.
- Secondly, in a medium-size bowl, pour in the flour, and yeast then mix together, after that, create a well at the middle of the dry mixtures and pour in the liquid ingredients as you work on the batter to ensure it’s perfectly incorporated.
- Thirdly, break the egg and whisk, after that, stir it into the batter continue to knead until the stretchy dough is form, roll into a ball shape, cover with nylon or cloth for 45-60 minutes as the size increases after the stipulated time.
- Flatten the dough on plain surface sprinkle flour so that it doesn’t stick much, cut into small balls and roll out each on the surface use a cup and cut out the round dough shape, thereafter, use a small round object and cut the center which forms your doughnut.
- Heat up the oil and fry until golden brown, then flip to the other side and fry, after frying both sides remove from heat to sieve, repeat process until batter is exhausted or finished.
Serve and enjoy homemade fried donuts!
Simple method of making Jam doughnuts
- Whisk melted butter, sugar, and milk together
- Add egg and continue to whisk, after that add yeast whisk and cover for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the flour and knead the mixture to form a dough.
- Cover in a greased bowl for 1 hour thereafter, uncover and knead again place on flat surface sprinkle flour and cut into small sizes.
- Flatten the small balls using a rolling pin on the plain surface then use a biscuit cutter to cut or a glass cup to cut into a round shape and smaller object to cut the center.
- Heat up your vegetable oil and fry until golden brown.
- If you have a piping bag place the jam into the bag, create a hole inside the doughnut then fill it with jam before serving.
- Use a syringe (remove the needle) collect jam into the syringe and place it into a fried donut as if you want to give an injection, that way you inject the jam into the doughnut is very simple.
Serve and enjoy!!