Orange is juicy and delicious when squeezed into your mouth. Certainly, oranges have several health benefits and it is among the world’s most popular fruits even here in Nigeria. It is a popular fruit that is healthy and also an energy booster! The botanical name of this fruit is known as CITRUS SINENSIS, it comes from the citrus family of grapes, tangerine, lemon, lime, and many others. It has a bright and orange color when ripe and green when unripe.
However, orange contains the following essential vitamins A, B5, B6, and C. You can store oranges in a slack loosed area rather than wrapped in a plastic bag; because they can easily develop mold if exposed to moisture.
Oranges are grouped into two categories which is the sweet and bitter oranges. The sweet varieties are more frequently consumed. Popular varieties of the sweet orange include tangerine as well as the Shamouti orange, blood orange, a hybrid species that is smaller in size, more sweet-scented in flavor, and marked by stains running all over its skin. The health benefits of oranges are just so amazing.
Bitter oranges (Citrus aurantium) are often used to make jam or jelly, and their flavor is used as the flavoring for liqueurs.
Meanwhile, oranges are very rich in soluble fibers but also provide some insoluble fiber both of which are equally important for your health. So it advisable to eat up fibers after the juice has been squeezed out. One glass of orange juice provides more than 100 percent of the recommended Daily Value of vitamins. Orange is well-known for being rich in vitamin C.
Health Benefits of Oranges
- The anti-oxidants present in oranges protect our skin from free radical damages known to bring about quick aging. A full glass of orange can make us look very young at old age.
- Oranges are good source of vitamin A, it helps to maintain healthy eyes and prevent eye diseases like glaucoma and cataracts. It also helps to promote vision even at old age.
- Intake of citrus fruits such as oranges and tangerines lower the risk of cardiovascular disease. Vitamin C and potassium found in this fruit help maintain a healthy heart.
- Oranges help improve the proper functioning of the digestive system as a result of the fiber content; by speeding the secretion of the digestive system and lowering the acidity of the stomach for easy digestion.
- It also helps lower your cholesterol level
- Reduces the risk of cancer