Masa recipe is a fermented grounded rice batter fried using a special pan that forms its ball shape; Masa is a popular Hausa food commonly refers to as Waina or rice puff puff in the Northern parts of Nigeria.
Hausa’s are known for some of their delicious and healthy foods like Suya, Zobo, Fura de Nunu, kunu, Tuwon chinkafa, Miyan kuka, Kuli kuli, Acha, kilishi Meat, Miyan Geda, and the likes.
Moreover, Hausa Masa like I said early is a delicacy prepared with local white rice known as chinkafa tuwo in Hausa language, it can be served with Yaji (Suya pepper) as a healthy snack, as side dish in Suya meat, or with soup (Miyan Taushe).
Rice puff puff/ Waina is a recipe you prepare ahead of time, though not tedious or time-consuming there is so much idle time in-between soaking the rice and finally frying in pan apart from that is a very simple dish to cook.
In other to save time, you can make masa with corn or with semovita it’s equally beautiful and tasty but, not as fluffy as using tuwo rice in making masa Bauchi.
How to Make Masa Recipe /Waina Recipe
- 2 cups of raw rice
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 3-4 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon cooking potash (Akun)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of water
- Oil for frying
Method of preparation
- First and foremost, in a small bowl, soak the cooking potash with 1 cup of water, allow dissolving.
- Secondly, wash the raw rice, after that, pour in the soaked potash (Akun) into the rice add enough water and cover overnight to ferment and soften or for at list 8 hours.
- Thirdly, being the next morning wash and boil your 1 cup of rice until soft, thereafter, rinse the soaked rice mix with cooked rice and blend to smooth batter.
- Proof the yeast as you mix sugar and water to proof, keep aside.
- The next step is to combine the grinded rice, proof yeast, and salt together and mix properly in a large bowl cover for the next 4-6 hours to rise just like puff puff batter and collapse again.
- Finally, grease your special pan or normal skillet pan and fry until golden brown on both sides, then remove and transfer to sieve.
At this point yummy Masa recipe, rice puff puff, waina is ready. Serve and enjoy with Yaji spice, Suya or Miyan Taushe.