Adalu recipe is a sweet Nigerian delicacy cooked with beans and corn, a perfect porridge with a combination of beans and fresh corn it’s highly nutritious, yummy, and healthy.
Beans and corn together is a traditional food in Nigerian, the Yoruba’s refer to it as ‘Ewa ati Agbado’ the Igbos call it ‘Agwa na Oka’ and the Hausa calls it Wanke da Masara which is commonly referred to as Nigerian Adalu porridge.
Homemade beans and corn recipe is easy to cook, thou it takes little time because of the beans, the beans need to be properly cooked, moreover, if the corn is fresh corn on the cob, you will equally cook to tender before combining the two together.
Meanwhile, for this delicious and spicy food, we are going to use canned sweet corn to prepare our dish.
How to Cook Beans and Corn Porridge Recipe
Basically there are different ways of preparing perfect porridge of beans and sweet corn; this dish can be cooked using the native method by just adding palm oil to already cooked beans and corn, or simply frying fresh blended tomatoes and pepper into the palm oil with a touch of spiced smoked fish.
Ingredients for Perfect Porridge
- 2 cups of Red beans/Honey beans/Black-eyed beans
- 1 medium-sized smoked fish (de-bone)
- 1 canned sweet corn/fresh corn
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 medium-size tomatoes
- 2 red bell pepper(Tatashe)
- 3 scotch bonnet pepper(Ata-rodo)
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 2 seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparing Beans n Sweet Corn Porridge (Adalu)
- First of all, pick the beans, rinse and place in a pot, pour in water and cook to soften. If you’re using fresh corn on the cob, remove corn from cobs, after that, cook and then keep aside.
- Secondly, wash and blend the pepper, tatashe, and tomatoes, in a pot, bring to heat your palm oil, stir in onions fry for few seconds, thereafter, pour in the blended tomatoes and fry.
- Thirdly, also stir in the smoked fish and fry together with the tomatoes and pepper until dry, scoop out the smoked fish, at this point, add crayfish, seasoning cubes, salt to taste.
- The next step is to pour in a moderate quantity of water into the stew and allow boiling for some seconds, back to the already cooked beans, pour in the sweet corn and the stew into the beans pot, stir and cover.
- Finally, cook all mixed ingredients together allow the water to dry, on medium heat, so that it doesn’t get burnt, at this point the porridge is formed.
- In conclusion, stir properly, and remove from heat, allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until you are ready to dish out your perfect porridge of beans and sweet corn recipe.
Serve and enjoy!