Pounded yam recipe is a stretchy and firm food swallow enjoyed in virtually all parts of Nigeria, pounded yam recipe is an African delicacy which is served in many occasions.
As the name indicates pounded yam is basically yam that is pounded and serve with soup, though as simple as that sounds, this dish is very sumptuous, healthy and filling.
There is a saying that ‘’A way to a man’s heart is through his belly’’. Pounded yam Fufu is that meal that can get to anyone especially when served with a really appetizing soup such as pounded yam with Egusi soup, Nsala soup, okra soup, Bitter leaf soup, or Vegetable soup.
How to make Pounded Yam from Scratch
- 1 tuber of yam
- Water enough to cook
- Mortar & pestle
- First of all, peel off the skin which is the outer brown layer, cut into chunky pieces, wash thoroughly and transfer into your cooking pot.
- Secondly, pour in enough water, place on the fire and cook for about 15 minutes and check by using a knife or fork to pierce if the yams are soft for pounding.
- Thirdly, remove from heat, use a sieve or plate and collect the boiled yam from the pot and transfer to the mortar, don’t pour away the yam water because is needed when pounding.
- Next step is to start pounding the yam using the pestle, pound until a thick consistency is formed and free off lumps, deep the pestle into the yam water and continue pounding to a soft and smooth swallow ready for molds.
- Finally, wrap with a foil paper or transparent white nylon making it ready to eat, or place them inside a food cooler to keep warm pending when you are ready to serve.
Serve and enjoy.
3 methods to make pounded yam without mortar
Use a yam pounder machine
This machine is specifically produced to pound yams, making it much easier for people to enjoy pounded yam Nigerian food at any point in time without the rigorous process of having to pound.
Simply cut the yam and boil to soft, sieve out the water, pour yam into the machine and pound within 5 minutes your food is ready, lump-free stretchy swallow and very smooth.
Use a sharp blender
In other to make pounded yam with blender, ensure the blender is in good sharp and the blades are still very sharp.
Cut and boil yam to soft, in a blender pour in the pieces of boiled yam with drops of water and blend to smooth, it should be done bit-by-bit until all cooked yam is exhausted.
It is so easy to make so while wait go ahead and make that yam swallows today.
Use pounded yam flour
This method is more like making Amala, Wheat, and Semo, it requires first boiling water and then gradually pours in the yam flour as you stir continuously to form stretchy consistency and lump-free poundo yam.
Add little water on the yam swallow and return back to fire, cook for another 3 minutes and remove from heat which is the final stage as you turn vigorously to smoothing the yam poundo.
Although this method is a bit tricky if you are no so familiar with making Amala or Semo, but follow the above method and you will have a perfectly prepared pounded yam.
Serve and enjoy!!
Pounded yam calories – it basically high carbohydrate food with a little percentage of vitamin and minerals like fiber, iron, sodium, calcium and vitamin C.
Certainly, with the 2,000 calories diet of your daily percent value, poundo swallow of 1 medium ball is approximately 267 calories.
Hence, for those on weight loss diet yam poundo is not advisable.