Pulao is a one-pot dish cooked with rice, vegetables, and spices; it’s a comfort food that is very easy to make at home.
This veg pulao restaurant style is a popular delicacy in India usually cooked with parboiled rice. It goes by many names like a pilaf, pulva, Indian pulao, veg pulao, or vegetarian pulao recipe.
However, in Nigerian, cooking pulva comes up when you are tired of the regular rice and stew or Nigerian Jollof rice. Basically, making pulao at home and giving it a touch of classic restaurant style; by simply cooking plain white rice of either long grains or short grain rice then garnish with chopped vegetables such as carrot, green peas, sweet corn, and the likes.
Moreover, there are different types of pulao recipes for instance the plain pulao, Bangali recipe, rice and egg style, masala pulva, the chicken recipe style for non-vegan, and so on.
Similarly, this dish is a healthy diet and perfect for those on weight loss program planning to cut down carbs. Certainly using basmati rice, Ofada rice or brown rice will really assist them in achieving their #FitnessGoals fast.
How to Make Veg Pulao Recipe – Rice Pilaf
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 1 small onion (finely sliced)
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1½ cup mixed vegetables (Carrots, Green peas, Green beans)
- 2 pieces of bay leaves
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste or powder
- 4 cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- First of all, in a pot parboil your rice for like 7 minutes, drain water, rinse and set aside. Or soak in cold water for like 20 minutes, thereafter, drain and rinse before setting aside.
- Secondly, in a pot bring oil to heat, stir in the cloves, bay leaves, and stir fry.
- Thirdly, add the ginger paste and the finely sliced onion and fry until onion is cooked through.
- Pour in the basmati rice, add water, cinnamon, salt, and stir to mix properly, then cover your pot and allow cooking.
- Finally, when the rice is done and the water is almost dry, add the carrots, peas, beans, and sweet corn. Cover the lid and reduce the heat to low and cook until water is completely dry.
- Remove from heat allow resting for about 5 minutes before serving.
Serve and enjoy!