Yellow plantains recipe is usually sweet when properly cooked, yellow ripe plantain has a natural sweetness that comes with it and a unique golden yellow color.
Plantain is a staple food in Nigerian be it ripe plantain, green plantains, or yellow plantains.
Moreover, in the Eastern part of Nigerian, boiled yellow plantains with palm oil sauce are one food you will not want to miss out; the well garnished spicy sauce is a delicious diet meanwhile both combinations perfectly match.
Furthermore, most ripe fruit peels definitely cook fast without taking much time, so don’t overcook else it won’t taste nice.
What is plantain?
Plantain traditionally is known as Ogede in Igbo and the Yoruba language is botanically called Musa paradisiaca and fruit of the same species as banana, although plantains are quite different from bananas because they are larger in sizes, starchier and basically eaten cooked, baked, fried, or boiled.
Banana is usually eaten fresh and raw which is even sweeter than plantain in its ripped form.
Yellow Plantains nutrition Facts
It contains carbohydrate, that is to say, it energy giving food as well as fiber, it also contains vitamins and minerals such as A, C, B6, potassium, and magnesium which helps improve eye vision, in the same vein boost immune system.
Fresh plantain also aids good bowel movement; on the other hand, plantains are healthy.
How to boil Yellow Plantains Recipe
- Plantain unpeeled (as much as you want)
- First and foremost, wash the unpeeled plantains, after that cut the both ends
- Secondly, cut into 2 equal places leaving the skin
- Thirdly place in a pot, add water and a little salt then cook for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Lastly, remove from heat, drain the water and allow cooling peel the skin before you serve plantain recipe with choice sauce or soup.
How to cook yellow plantain sauce Recipe
- Smoked fish
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 medium-size onion
- 8 scotch bonnet pepper (Atarodo)
- 2 tablespoon crayfish
- ½ cup of palm oil
- 2 cubes seasonings
- ½ cup scent leaf or pinch of utazi leaf
- Locust bean (iru, okpei)
- Salt to taste
Method of preparing Yellow Plantains Recipe
- Wash your tomatoes, pepper, and onions thereafter blend set aside for use
- Wash the smoked fish and remove the bones then keep aside
- Rinse the scent leaf in running water and finely slice ready for use
- Get a clean pot, pour in the palm oil, bleach for like 3 minutes reduce the heat and pour in the blended tomatoes, stir fry for about 3 minutes
- Finally, add the fish and iru (okpei) then, continue to stir fry for another 4 minutes before adding little water stir as you add in the seasoning, taste for salt and crayfish.
- In conclusion, pour in the scent leaves vegetable stir and remove from fire.
Serve and enjoy your delicious sweet plantains with palm oil sauce wholly ensemble plantains.