Fried Rice and Chicken – How to Make Fried rice and chicken recipe
Who doesn’t love fried rice? This yummy chicken and fried rice recipe is perfect as a midweek meal or a casual dinner. It’s simple, healthy and only takes about 45 minutes to make!
This chicken and fried rice is also a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies. The use of frozen mixed vegetables reduces the prep time for this recipe so you can get it on the table faster. You can also serve them on the side if your kids aren’t so keen on veggies.
This simple home-cooked fried rice and chicken is a perfect introduction to Chinese food if you’re new to it. It’s also a brilliant way to use up leftover rice, so no need for takeaways!
If you’ve not tried Chinese food before, this is a great place to start. Fried rice with chicken and peas is the perfect example of this – it’s packed full of flavor and not overly salty.
Nigerian Fried Rice and Chicken
Nigerian fried rice differs significantly from traditional Chinese fried rice, which calls for the use of rice cooked for days.
In Nigeria, we use either parboiled or freshly cooked rice for this dish. If you’re going to use raw rice, be sure it’s the appropriate kind.
Basically, Basmati rice or parboiled rice long grain much better. This kind of rice, like Jollof Rice, is quite easy to deal with when creating Fried Rice since it is firmer and less sticky.
Nigerian fried rice recipe that is healthier and simpler
In Nigeria, fried rice and chicken is a special dish usually served in parties, weddings, occasions and events, a top delicacy on restaurant’s menus and some Buka food outlets.
Because fried rice is typically prepared the same manner throughout West Africa, including Nigeria, Cotonou, Ghana, Togo, Cameroon, etc. it is OK to refer to this recipe as West African fried rice. Due to the abundance of vegetables used, this dish can also be referred to as vegetable fried rice. By simply switching out one ingredient (meat), you can easily turn this fried rice recipe vegan. There are numerous variations of this dish, and the best part is that no Nigerian fried rice recipe is ever wrong.
Is fried rice healthy?
This recipe is a powerhouse of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and healthy fiber, protein, good fat, and excellent carbs.
Is fried rice junk food?
Depending on what is in your fried rice, you may be consuming a high-fat, high-calorie dinner. In general, fried foods shouldn’t be a staple of any diet unless your goal is to invite clogged arteries and hypertension. To make fried rice healthy: Reduce your oil use and use cholesterol-free oil for cooking.
Is Nigerian Fried Rice Recipe Vegan?
No! Because they frequently include chicken broth and fried liver, so traditional Nigerian fried rice is not vegan. But you can easily turn this recipe vegan by substituting chicken broth for the vegetable stock and omitting any meat from the food.
Can I prepare Nigerian fried rice without frying?
Yes! Thankfully, there are fried rice recipes that don’t involve frying. To prepare fried rice without frying, you must first parboil the rice, then sauté the onion and garlic with the broth, add the rice, cook until tender, and then add the vegetables all at once.
How to Make Fried Rice and Chicken Recipe
- 2 cups of rice (long grain rice)
- Fresh Green peas/ Green beans
- 1kg Chicken laps or wings
- Curry and thyme
- Seasoning cubes
- Spring onion
- Vegetable Oil
- Salt to taste
- Cow Liver (optional)
Instruction on How to Make Fried Rice and Chicken
- Your long grain rice needs to be parboiled first, then rinsed, drained, and set aside.
- Second, season and boil the liver and, if using chicken, cook together with liver until they are totally soft. After that, mince the liver into little cubes or bits. Chicken should also be fried; set aside. Don’t forget to keep the stock as well.
- Thirdly, add the vegetable oil to a clean, dry pot and heat.
- The spring onion is then added and stir-fried for a few seconds. The carrot, green peas, and green pepper are then added and stir-fried for around three minutes.
- The chicken broth or stock should now be added, along with the spice cubes, liver, curry, thyme, and salt to taste.
- Finally, add the parboiled rice, stir everything together, and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Hurray! Your fried rice is ready.
Serve and enjoy your delicious Nigerian fried rice and chicken recipes.