Nigerian Jollof Rice Recipe -How to Cook Party Jollof Rice
Nigerian Jollof rice is a tasty delicacy eaten by all indigenes of Nigerian, popularly called party Jollof rice or one-pot rice dish. Rice Jollof is a staple food in Africa, especially in Nigeria.
Nigerian food recipes are so unique, different ethnic groups with their spicy dishes that cannot be overlooked, but, Nigerian Jollof rice is one food that unites us together as a Nation.
Homemade party Jollof is so easy to prepare using the right Jollof seasoning; meanwhile, there are different kind of rice recipes that exist in Nigerian such as white rice and stew, Ofada rice, Nigerian fried rice, and how to cook local rice.
Jollof rice is a must find food in Nigerian parties, events, and occasions, that smoky aroma it generates during cooking with firewood is what makes it party rice.
Nigerian Party Jollof Rice Recipe Competition
Nigerian Jollof rice is one food that unites us together as a Nation.
Moreover, this one-pot rice dish has won several cooking competitions and awards such as Jollof Festival held in Washington DC in the USA and Best Jollof in London.
Nigerian Party Jollof is always competing with Ghana Jollof on which of them that taste better. Your guess is as good as mine.
How to cook Nigerian Jollof Rice
- 3 ½ cups parboiled rice long grain
- 1 kg Meat (chicken, turkey, or Beef)
- Icefish dress and fried (optional)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup scotches bonnet pepper (Atarodo)
- 4 pcs red bell pepper (Tatashe)
- 6 large fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon ground crayfish
- Garlic and Ginger cloves fresh
- 2 large onions
- 2 teaspoons curry and thyme each
- 3 Knorr cubes
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon bay leaves
- Salt to taste
Party Jollof Rice Preparation
- First of all, parboil the rice rinse and set aside ready for use, the reason why you precook the rice is to reduce the excess starch that may cause the rice to stick together not giving you that single grains of rice.
- Secondly, wash the tomatoes, pepper, onions, ginger, garlic, and tatashe very well and blend using a blender, ensure its well puree.
- Thirdly, wash the meat (chicken, Beef, Turkey) spice and cook until done after that, fry or grill whichever style you want, on the other hand, the stock is needed when cooking the final stage of Jollof.
Instructions on How to Cook Party Jollof Rice Step-by-Step Guide
- Step one, pour the vegetable oil into a pot, heat and stir in the pureed tomatoes and fry, add in the tomato paste, continue to stir don’t allow it to stick at the bottom of the pot or burn.
- Cook till the watery puree dries and sour taste disappear, at this point is well fried; scoop out 2 spoons and keep aside to be used later.
- Add in your curry, thyme, crayfish, Knorr cubes, bay leaves, salt, meat stock, and pour enough water that will cook the rice, cover and allow boiling properly.
- Pour in the parboiled rice; make sure the quantity of water is the same level as the precook rice cover and cook.
- Finally, when the Jollof is almost done, scoop in the remaining tomato stew on top of the rice cover and allow to steamer until water is completely dried.
- In conclusion, for that party Jollof taste, you need to allow the rice to burn slightly at the bottom, remove from heat allow sitting for 2 minutes to absorb the smoky taste to the Jollof.
Serve and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Sites.psu.edu