Okra stew recipe is another simple and nice way of cooking okra dish, a beautiful combination though colorful, tasty and delicious meal that is perfect for lunch or dinner.
Plain okra with stew is associated the Yoruba’s they love eating there okro fresh with either a fish stew or beef stew, in the absence of ewedu, fresh okra stew with fufu or amala food is a street food in Lagos, check out Bukka Hut near me.
Nigerian okra stew is one of those delicacies I rare miss in school, since I already prepared stew over the weekend, once I return from lectures kitchen is my next port of call quickly grating okra and cooking immediately while I use the stew and swallow to accompany the food.
Moreover, okra is also known as lady’s finger, okro, ochro is actually a fruit but is mostly used as a vegetable, which can easily be eaten fried, raw, or gumbo is a popular dish in Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone and in Africa at large.
Vegetarian okra stew is another way of making this soup without using beef in stewed okra and tomatoes. Nigerian okro in stew with oatmeal swallow is a perfect weight loss food.
How to Make Okra Stew Recipe
The Yoruba style of making plain okro with tomato stew is a dish you can cook at home.
- A medium pot of Nigerian Fish tomato stew
- 10 pieces of fresh okra
- 1 handful of prawns seafood (washed)
- 1 tablespoon of locust beans fermented (Iru)
- Pinch of potash (Akaun) optional
- Salt to taste
Method of Preparation
- First and foremost, wash and grate okra or chop
- Secondly, rinse the already washed prawns, place in a pot add 2 cups of water, locust beans, akaun and cook for about 10 minutes
- Thirdly, stir in the okra and mix properly with other ingredients in the pot, thereafter, allow cooking for the next 2 minutes and remove from heat.
At this point, the okra is cooked and still looking greenish in color.
Serve okro fish stew with white Eba sallow and enjoy!