Suya spice popularly known as Yaji in Hausa is a dry rub spice of groundnut used in marinating beef before grilling or roasting, as well as sprinkle on already served suya meat.
Homemade suya pepper is not complete without kuli kuli else Mallam suya spice will always remain the best, although peanut can be used for the best result on spice recipe go for kuli kuli.
Moreover, kuli kuli is processed groundnut rolled into different shapes and fried normally used in drinking Garri, is a healthy and popular snack in Nigeria.
How to make Suya Spice
- 1 cup of grounded kuli kuli (or roasted crushed peanuts)
- 4 tablespoons smoky Paprika powder
- ½ cup of ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- Salt to taste
Method of preparation
- First of all, crush your kuli kuli into a powdered form, after that start adding other ingredients one after the other until all are finished.
- Mix very well so that some spices will not stay separately; ensure all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Store the spice using an airtight container keep for future use or for another spicy recipe you will make.
In case you want to make liquid suya pepper the ingredient still remains the same only add water or use the fresh ingredients to achieve the same result.
Serve your spice with well-garnished suya meat.