Homemade date syrup alternative is a healthy substitute for white sugar and for those who are allergic to honey. Date maple syrup is delicious, thick and dark caramel used as toppings in some food recipes.
In Nigeria, dates are called dabino fruit mostly cultivated in the Northern part of Nigeria. It is a widely acceptable fruit eaten all over the world.
However, with just date syrup, no one is deprived of a certain recipe that needs a bit of sugary taste; while they still stick to a healthy diet with natural date honey syrup.
Dates are unique on each stage of ripeness, it can be eaten fresh, dried which is the most common we all know, Khajoor can certainly be processed into juice and pure date syrup. It can also be used in adding flavor to either food or drinks.
Date sugar syrup is loaded with some health benefits which include vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, and rich in fiber, aids good digestion and in the same vein, boost energy.
How to make Date Syrup Alternative
- 4 cups dates (pitted –seeded)
Method of Preparation
How to make date syrup in Nigeria
- First of all, wash and remove the seeds, after that, soak in hot water for 2-4 hours, if you are not in a hast allow soaking overnight.
- Secondly, heat up the soaked dates for about 5 minutes then allow cooling which makes it easier to blend or mash.
- Thirdly, pour into a blender and blend to smooth, or mash with your hand to extract the date syrup alternative water using cheesecloth/ Muslim silk cloth in straining.
- Squeeze out the water thoroughly; add little more water stir and strain with your hands, thereafter, discard the waste.
- Finally, pour the dates water in a pot or saucepan and boil, stir constantly on low heat, till consistency becomes thick like honey, at this point remove from heat and allow cooling.
Store in a tight container and refrigerate and use when necessary.