Akara is one of Nigerian food for breakfast made with beans, although some have it as snacks while others have it for dinner; akara is tasty and delicious food.
Bean cake, Akara is also known as kosia in Hausa language, bean cakes, Acarajé, beans fritas, beans balls, is a recipe made with beans through a process of removing the beans coat; grinding to form a paste and deep fry in the vegetable oil into a golden brown color ball.
In Nigeria, the beans cake recipe is a go-to for most families especially on Saturday, when there will be enough time to wash, peel, grind and fry the akara.
Moreover, simple homemade crunchy beans balls are usually more yummy and cheap, likewise goes round for the entire family when prepared.
Similarly, fried beans batter is a nutritious diet with lots of health benefits, beans are a legume loaded with dietary fiber and antioxidants, beans are a rich source of protein which is a perfect diabetic food, it also contains vitamins and minerals like folate, potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, phosphorous, and manganese.
How to make crunchy akara recipe
- 2 cups of beans (brown beans or black-eyed beans)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 scotch bonnet pepper
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil
- First of all, soak the bean in water for 3 minutes then wash and peel the skin, after that, soak for another 30 minutes this allows the beans to set and becomes easy to blend.
- Use blender to blend the bean alone without ingredients, with little quantity of water, but, if you want to grind in the market with their heavy duty machine, then it’s not necessary soaking because it will crush the entire bean with little or no water making the batter thick and will stick together during the stage of frying.
- In a separate plate chop your onions and pepper and set aside, in a mortar and pestle add some quantity of puree batter with little water and stir continuously until fluffy, on the other hand, whereby there is no mortar, cut out some grinded bean into a deep bowl, use a spoon or turning garri stick and stir vigorously, this enables the bean stick together when molded into the frying pan
How to Fry Akara
- Heat your vegetable oil in a frying pan, drop few slices of onions inside the vegetable oil as an indicator on how hot the oil is, if is too hot reduce the heat else the akara spatter immediately it touches the oil but, if is not hot allow heating properly to avoid soaking oil.
- Consequently, add your pepper, onions, and salt to the beans stir, and start scooping the mixture into the oil almost immediately, using either a tablespoon or soup spoon whichever one that suits you better.
- Finally, fry your bean cakes until golden brown, then flip to the other side and fry the same way and remove to a sieve allow draining of oil. Continue the same process until all grinded beans are finished, at this point remove oil from fire to a save position and off the fire.
Serve with oatmeal, pap, bread and tea ensures you enjoy your food.